High pitched "sreaming air noise"

tomble

hi, i've read all your tips and have noticed something strange in my investigation. to me it looks like one of the pipes has come off the standard dumpvalve (i have yet to fit and aftermarket one), its the one facing towards the wing. could this be the problem? the pipe that looks like hte one that belongs on it also doesnt quite reach :shock: its all very odd, and only 6 days into pulsar ownership! :x

Which pipe is that mate?

There are three on the standard DV:

Thick pipe (input into the DV, comes from the rear of the engine somewhere)
Thin Vacuum pipe (tells the DV when to dump)
Pipe that recirculates dumped air back to the air intake (comes from DV, and takes a bizarre elongated route into the underside of the plastic air intake pipe, very difficult to find where it meets)

If any one of them is hanging off it could obviously cause problems.

Don't know what the symptoms are if the other two pipes are disconnected but if the car is running rich (idling rough as a bag of spanners and popping and flaming at low speeds) then the recirc back to air intake pipe is disconnected somewhere.

if this is the case and you can't replace the pipe, try to cap the DV off at the metal elbow on the DV with something like a bit of old broom handle or tape (But leave the vacuum and fat pipe connected) and cap off the hole in your air intake pipe (otherwise you'll have unfiltered air in your engine). This will get you by, but as now dumped air will have nowhere to go you will get an amount of backwash to the turbo, which in theory could knacker it eventually.

Hope that helps, bad explanation and too many brackets :lol: . Anyway it's all the stuff i know on the subject 'cos that's what happened to me :roll: :lol:

G

Glyn

I reckon its the exhaust manifold-to-turbo gasket, mine made the exact same noise :wink: Pain in the bum job though :(