High oil temps on track day :-(

Is this a common prob on our cars.
I will be gettin an oil cooler but wanted to find out if other people have had the same probs, ie if theirs an underlyin fault along the line or just that the old girls aren't up to a decent track day session without some improvements?
Thanx, Ben

MarkTurbo

No they dont really like track days without a decent oil cooler :wink:

I've done a couple track days at castle combe and after hammering the car for a 15 min session i was getting oils temps of around 120 ish degrees :shock: The standard oil to water heat exchanger isnt really up to the job of sustained abuse :twisted:

I'd go for a 16 row cooler with a thermostatic sandwich plate :wink:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I think you'll find it's the same on most cars as standard, on the track the engine is held on power/boost longer than it would have been expected to be on the road so all the temps will creep up higher than normal. So don't be surprised if your oil temps do go through the roof on the track after a while.
Definately fit a cooler if you're serious about track days.

yeah i saw about 130ish on the guage (having not looked at it until 5 laps in) and did a few slow laps to follow.
upset the day a bit as meant couldn't keep up a good pace for the whole session.
Just wantin to confirm its a common/normal issue and that I haven't got a problem somewhere.
Will defo be sorting out an oil cooler asap.

MarkTurbo

R called Jay said:
Just wantin to confirm its a common/normal issue and that I haven't got a problem somewhere.
No its perfectly normal :wink: Just slightly worrying seeing your oil temps that high thats all :lol:

Yeah tell me about it.
Havin just rebuilt the engine and seein those temps I really couldn't keep up a decent time and pish myself and the car as far as I wanted.
Shame but its a learnin curve amd defo alot to be learnt from my time out.

F

fiecos dan

wot quick pace???????????

at the slow pace you were goin im surprised oil temp actually reached 50 dee C. heehee.

so oil cooler, more boost and better tyres on cards for jay.

good day tho.

Think you'll find that the pace i was keepin was far nearer optimum performance for jay than other cars that were there on the day :lol: