HIgh oil temps and water loss

W

wizgti

After going through winter where I couldn't even get the car warmed up enough in a 30 min journey yesterday the oil temp got too bloody hot. Basically when going down the motorway at 80 mph I was getting oil temps of 120c when even in the heatwave last year when doing 100mph (on a private rd) the maximum I got was 110c. And when parked up I could only get it down to 90c after idling for 15 mins and the fan heater on full blast whereas normally it goes down to 70/75c after a few mins. I do have a slight drinking problem where my R drinks a bit of water (from the max mark on the filler bottle down to a puddle at the bottom) and I hadn't filled it up for a few months-so do you think this is why the temperatures were too high?

On a second point where is my water going? No signs of headgasket going and the only thing I can think off (not been very technical) is that I only noticed it over the last few months and figured that because I've had the fan heater on full virtually all this time it could be down to that?

Sorry about the long post but wanted to give as much info as poss :)

Ta
Andrew

zia

are you getting any white smoke from the exhaust? perhaps the heater matrix is leaking? if you got coolant pressure pump you could check for pressure loss.take the plugs out if thay are rusty brown it probably water leaking into the cylindars.

zia

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
If you were running with low water your engine would over heat and the temperatures rise. If you're continually having to top it up then you could have a leak, which should be fairly easy to spot (puddle on the floor etc) or the head gasket could be leaking under pressure and you're burning it off.

J

jasegould

take the plugs out if thay are rusty brown it probably water leaking into the cylinda
But if one of the plugs is a lot cleaner than the others its a good indication that you are burning water

W

wizgti

OK all the plugs are fine and there are no sign at all of a head gasket leak-unless it is a tiny 1 and am burning it off. Topped up the water today and it is still getting too warm (in comparison to previous times). Is there an oil cooler somewhere that could be blocked-cos I can't find it and would be hard to believe there isn't one?

Ta
Andrew

Shaun

:D If you have had a low water level for all that time then there is more than likely an air lock,this would stop the water circulating properly and would cause higher temps.Have you filled the rad as well as the expansion tank :?: