High oil temp and oil pressure

G

Gaz-R

Any one got any ideas what could cause the oil temp and pressure to be high. The oil temp sits between 90-100 degrees when taking it easy and when I start the car the pressure goes to near 6 bar :eek: and it has been known to hit 7bar :eek: :eek: I have been told it could be the oil pump :?: but surelly that wont cause the temp to be sky high :?:

Any help will be much appreciated

Gary

A

Anonymous

Are you sure there is a problem mate? when I first start my car the oil pressure goes to 5-6 bar, once warme up and idling it can be anywhere from 2-4 bar depanding on what I am doing.

As for the temperature, mine will move around 75-90 and if I do motorway driving it can peak at 100 if I floor it for a bit.

Never had any problems with my car overheating or loosing power, and its running standard boost

Dan

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
What about a blockage somewhere? I don't know the oil system at all ( as my manual is still on bl**dy back order) Could the cooler be blocked and be getting taken out of the system?

N

Nikki

Hits 100 when only coasting along at 55-60 mph and it hadnt been ragged at all before that.

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Gaz-R said:
Any one got any ideas what could cause the oil temp and pressure to be high. The oil temp sits between 90-100 degrees when taking it easy and when I start the car the pressure goes to near 6 bar :eek: and it has been known to hit 7bar :eek: :eek: I have been told it could be the oil pump :?: but surelly that wont cause the temp to be sky high :?:

Any help will be much appreciated

Gary

High oil pressure is normal on a cold start... Your car has a Mocal oil cooler doesn't it...? If not then its probably fine considering the extra heat your engine/turbo generates...

Rishi

G

Gaz-R

Im not sure what pressure it ran out before as I only got it going on friday and its been like it is since then. Mike changed the oil for me when he done the turbo change (Castreol RS 10w 60 ) There must be some sort of problem as it has blown two turbos recently :eek:

G

Gaz-R

Got the car booked in at powerstation next week for a full check over and set up. should have a new exaust system fitted at the weekend as well.
Powerstation did say that the high oil temp and pressure could be down to fuelling :?: This might have caused the turbo failures so they say :?:
I will be glad when I can finally stop throwing money at the car and have it running like new.

So far I have spent nearly £2000 on it :eek:

Gary

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Gaz-R said:
Powerstation did say that the high oil temp and pressure could be down to fuelling :?: This might have caused the turbo failures so they say :?:

Gary
I'd like to know how the fuelling could cause it if they're right. :shock:
I'd have thought an oil problem could kill 2 turbos, unless you're running weak and the excess exhaust temperature could kill the turbos too.

How about a partially blocked oil gallery restricting oil to the turbo? Could that cause an increase in oil pressure? A schematic of the oil system routing would be handy.

C

charlie

sounds strange anyway- cold start oil pressure will be high, as the oil is thicker. But usually once warmed up high oil temp= low oil pressure so its got me stumped

N

Nikki

Think we may of found the problem. Looks like it could be the head gasket gone. :evil: :x

G

Gaz-R

What sort of pressue should the oil be at say when doing 30-40mph in 4th gear :?: Its just some one spoke to me about the car and said to keep an eye on the pressure and oil temp gauge. He said that he hoped that it was some thing simple like an oil pump that was the answer to the oil temp problem. I have been told that the oil pressure seemed low and I was wondering if it was the cause to the temp problem say for example not kicking out and supplying the oil properly and causeing what oil is there to heat up :?: Could explain matts two turbo failures, could be wrong. What I do know is the head gasket has gone, and there is 3 head bolts missing :shock: :evil: Not a good sign but im going to get it sorted one way or the other.

Not a happy owner at the moment :x

G

Gaz-R

Could some one post up the oil pressures I should be seeing at different speeds so I can get an idea as to if I do have oil pressure problems as one person has said I have and another has said I dont.
I have been looking up post and have seen that gilybob had a problem with oil temp/pressure problems (oh my god whats appened???? post)
I think I will be getting the oil and water pumps changed when the head gasket is being done as this these might be the reason for my problems.
i will have a report on the car engine later so should be good reading and hopefully it will point out my problem.

Cheers

Gary

G

Gaz-R

When i brought the car back from the tuners today it was sitting at just under a bar at 20mph. Looks like there is a pressure problem with the car. going to get a new pump fitted when the head gasket is done me thinks.

zia

when cold and at idle mine normaly rises to 4-5.when accelerating will go to 6-8 on boost at cold.when hot the pressure will drop at idle to 2-4 when accelerating will rise to 4 max

zia

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
If they are taking the engine out to do the head gasket, I'd be tempted to see if they can have a go a cleaning the oilways, don't know if a blast with compressed air would be any good. 2 turbo failures sounded abit iffy to me straight away.
Oil pressure is dependant on engine revs, not road speed. I don't know the figures, but it's low at idle and then at set revs it rises to a higher pressure. Hopefully someone with the manual will be along shortly. :wink:

E

Edd

if i remember right :wink:

from the manual..

at idle pressure should be greater than 1

at 3000rpm pressure should be inbetween 3.3-4.3 :wink: