High idle & more

G

GTiR_Oz

First time poster here, and I'm at work, so must be quick. But as Dr. Nick would say, "Hi everybody!".

My R was idling fine at around 1100 (sorta fine) before taking it in to get a head noise looked at by my mechanic. He's had the rocker cover off and obviously the IC and whatever piping associated to get to it all. Now, it's idling at 1400-1600 (cold/hot, whatever), which I could probably deal with, for a while at least. Except driving it the other day I got up it a bit and it got stuck on 2500rpm idle. I'm guessing the jump when hitting the next gear made something come loose? Pressing the horseshoe type bracket (that the throttle cable winds around) in the closed direction (it didn't move more than a millimetre) made it come back down to some sort of normal idle rev. I couldn't see what revs as when I let go to look at the tacho it raced back up revs again, but it sounded like just over 1000. Thinking about it later I doubt I was actually moving anything enough to make the idle come back down. So is it possible I was earthing something out to make it work properly again? Like a solenoid? I left it sit through the day and when starting again later it sat on 1500 or so. So I figure it must be a vacuum leak (would a vacuum leak make it idle at 2500?), except that when I got home last night, it sat there hunting between 1000-2000revs. Up… down, up… down, with less than a second between each cycle. I feel it would have done this forever as it did so for at least a 30secs. I blipped the throttle to see what it would do & the idle started creeping up to above 2000rpm again. I shut it down and this morning it's back on 1500rpm again.

I have read most of the posts about high idle but nobody mentions the hunting up & down thing. It pops when idling at 1500 so I'm thinking it's something to do with the choke? I will check all pipes tonight or tomorrow and reset the ECU. But I have a feeling because of the way it hunted from 1-2000rpm and because it got stuck on 2500rpm that it may be a problem with the solenoid that controls the automatic choke.

Oh, and it's been on a diagnostic so the TPS etc should be fine… I'm guessing lambda sensor would show up on that too. Can ring mechanic to check how much the diagnostic checks if that helps, but figured you guys would know better than me.
Anybody got any thoughts/questions? I ask now as I may not have access to a computer easily tomorrow.

Cheers gang. :thumbsup:

stumo

From the sound of it the throttle cable could be too tight, you wouldn't have to move the "horseshoe type bracket (that the throttle cable winds around)" much to make the idle drop. Touching the engine won't "earth" anything as your resistance would be too high.

Undo the rearmost nut one turn on the bracket on top of the rocker cover and tighten up with the closer one.

antgtir

I would get some tools out and whip the intercooler off and have a look at all pipes. The mechanic mayhave pulled one off (then one of the pipes) when he was looking or stripping the rocker cover.

Do as Stumo says and check the cable travel to ensure it isn't sticking, with regards to hunting it does suggest that something has been removed and perhaps not replaced:?

Ant.

niklock1

I would check ya little hoses on ya throttle boddies, mine came off and sent the idle right up. wont cost anything and worth a look.

G

GTiR_Oz

K, will check all hoses and reset ECU tomorrow. Cable has a little bit of slack in it so i'm sure it's not that.
Thanks again. More info tomorrow i'm sure... :?