High Idle - Cured!!

Hi

A few months back I posted a few threads about high idle, and what i found during the strip down of the throttle bodies. I took delivery of the samco ancillary kits end of last week, so on sunday I set to work rebuilding it all:

The last picture is only a mock up, and a few clamps missing :)

Started it up after priming the engine for a minute or so of cranking with the fuel pump fuse removed and TPS set, I started it up.. Idle was around 1500rpm and after ten minutes or so of idling the rpm stayed at 1500. I thought bollox after all the effort and money, its still not cured it. Turned the engine off and let it cool for a bit before checking coolant removing air locks etc then it occured to me, took the rad cap off and cleared the many air locks, then started it up, hey presto 900rpm, adjusted the idle screw about two turns out and now idles steady at 950rpm. There must have been an air lock in the air regulator pipes so no hot water flowing through it to close the valve.

So, I now have a happy idling motor. All the parts I changed and cleaned are as follows:

Throttle bodies stripped down and fully cleaned ( didnt remove butterflies or shaft)
Adjust throttle stops
Renew all vacuum and coolant hoses
Remove pcv and all pipes
Remove rocker breather to induction pipe
Make custom induction pipe
Reset TPS
Remove Carbon Canistor
Install oil catch can
Installed strong hose clamps and quality Jubilee clips
All new gaskets on intake manifold
Stainless rocker cover and polished manifold and plenum cover ( makes all the difference :lol::lol:)
New injector seals (ones sold on ebay wrong size!! ended up going to Nissan
All that metal shite removed from back of engine, should have done it when engine removed 5 year ago!
Throttle bodies balanced, with balance gauges
Timing checked, all fine
Fuel pipes changed

I hope this has some use to someone

Cant wait to tax it 1st of August now :)

Oh and figured out you cant fit a proper NISMO bumper guard with a FMIC, a bit of cutting and welding it'll fit!!

Gaz

watoga

Gaz,

Great effort and it's always really nice to see some pics to go along with your post. I'll be doing something similar soon, so it's great to be able to check my progress with your pictures!

Cheers,
Dave

well done matey, good effort and results.
Cheers mate, I only wish I could have narrowed it down, but I hate to think how many gaskets I would have gone through in the process, but looking at some of the air chamber pipework I think the problem lay there and also the amount of crap around the butterflies, but alls good now.

A good point to note for others is, if there is a air lock around the air regulator then the idle will always be high, if you have a high idle maybe worth checking!! Surely would clear itself over time and would notice a loss off coolant from the expansion tank.

Gaz

pulsarmoley

That looks really tidy with the samco kit :thumbsup:. Where did you get it from and how much was it? Got my engine replacement coming so will need to replace a few if not all hoses as old and brittle. What bov you running? Looks similar to mine. Pete.

Hi mate,

The bov is a sheepdog, matty got it for me years ago from japan, did see one on eBay not so long ago. The samco kit was from Amber performance there eBay shop, took 7 1/2 weeks to come, not there fault samco make the kit on request, so it's not the quickest. Don't think it makes any difference where u order it from, all have to order from samco, unless your lucky enough to find some where that has one.

There's two kits for the ancillary pipes, ones 70 and the other 60 odd quid I think, I bought 4 extra 90 degree bends for the air chamber (black box bit with the vacuum pipes) as these were not included in the kit and the two pipes from idle air control valve, I just ordered a 1 meter length of silicon off eBay, can't remember ID of it.. As well as all the vacuum pipes I needed

The old water pipes and air pipes were knackered on mine, so defo needed doing. Not sure what prices would be from Nissan for these pipes, think they wouldn't be far off the samco price if not more.

Gaz

darkyGTI-R

I was quoted around £10 per pipe from Nissan and in the end they just said "why don't you buy the kits from ebay"? wtf oh well their loss they really didn't seem arsed about helping me just because it's an import!

Well done mate a great job well done:)