high and fluctuating idle

Bart GTI-R

Hi all, Iv read the sticky on idle issues but before I go ahead and take the Inlet off just thought I would ask this,

Sometimes the car idles at 1500/2000 and somtimes a bit lower (not often),

Iv checked :

for possible air leaks apart from behind the manifold,
TPS Set
Throttle Bodies balanced
tried a different dump valve
Checked blanking caps

the PCV valve is removed when I rebuilt the engine

Parked it up the other day and it was idling at 2000, I pushed on the thottle arm to try and see if it did anything and then the revs went from 2000 to 1200 and back to 2000 and kept doing it till i took my arm pressure of the throttle!! which makes me think is it the stoppers or is it an air leak, any ideas chaps

Regards Gregg

Last edited:

MINESGTIR

ive replaced my TPS and also bought a part from nissan for £87 from USA that is a nissan part. ill post the part number when i get home..

hope you understand what it is from my rubbish description.

its a small black box with a lttle metal pipe coming off it.. it stays shut on cold idel and after around 5mins the car warms up and this opens up to allow more air to flow...

i suffered from same prob... my idle is now 1200 on cold and 954 on warm.... IDEAL just what nissan says it should be...

mattytappy

Hi bart....have you re grounded your maf as these can tend to play havock with your idle......failing it not being an earthing issue try another known good maf and see what results you get as i had very simular symptoms before my maf gave up on me....hope this helps;-)

Also are you running a standard ecu setup or are you using a fuel controller?

GTIR-LOZ

if you pushed on the throttle and it dropped then the throttle linkages are out, ive had this on two inlets now, it seems to be due to a bit of carbon build up or something below the butterflies stopping them closing properly, i had to remove the intake and clean them all up then readjust the butterfly stop postions using the two adjustment arms on the throttle linkages,

best way to do it is, unscrew the stops below the arms (the screw is on the back) disconnect the arms from the linkage and let the throttles closed
adjust the stops so they are just touching the linkage
adjust the arms to suit
recheck its all ok

it should then idle perfectly (hopefully) if you dont clean ou the intake it can be hard to get the butterflies to sit at their closed position it might take a few pushes on the throttles to close it properly my first one i never cleaned out and occasioanlly the butterflies would stick closed:lol: , but after a while it sorted itself out, my ones on my new build i have cleaned out alot better