HELP (wrong section I know, but it's ASAP!!)

J

J-GTi-R

Anyone have any suggestions for removing rounded off exhaust studs? The engine is out of the car (not mine, the gf's 205 gti) but I've rounded off three studs trying to get the manifold off.

I'll move this to the right place tomorrow, but the engine hoist has to be back at the hire shop by lunchtime tomorrow, so I've got to get the manifold off asap... :roll:

gtirpulsar

Before you go to sleep give the nuts a good soaking in WD40 (do the same to the exhaust nuts :lol: ) Then in the morning cut new flat edges on to two parallel sides of the nuts, soak again, then use an open spanner to have another go.

J

J-GTi-R

Done the WD40 thing (missus complained about the smell so I had to wash it off :wink: ), but I'll try both suggestions.

Cheers guys!!

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I take it you mean nut, not stud?

Use a 6sided or surface drive socket (not a bi hex)as they grip better, if there's any flat surface left on it. Undersize quite often works (like turblio says)

Last resort, if it's a nut on a stud, cut the nut off then replace the nut and stud.

J

J-GTi-R

Yes sorry, I do mean the nut not the stud. All three are as round as an orange, so I'll have to have a go at the undersized socket trick (will have to do it on the week-end now, spent ALL day getting the knackered engine out of the car... have no skin left on my knuckles as a result :cry: )

If I do go for the cutting the nut off last resort, anything you recommend for getting the remains of the stud out? Oh, and cheers for the reply too :D

zia

drilling with pilot hole then use an easyout to remove the stud

zia[/quote]

J

jasegould

Heat them up with oxyacetelyne, then do the undersized socket/molegrip technique, theyll come undo piece of piss.

If it doesnt come undone, grind/cut the head off the bolt, that will leave a bit of stud sticking out, use a small bit of heat on that and the biggest molegrips that you can find and unwind the stud.

J

J-GTi-R

Hmm nut splitters and easyouts, new tools for me to buy then!!

Cheers for the help one and all :D :D