HELP!!! - Won't change gear at high rpm...

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Basically the car drives fine... changes gear fine up at 5000 - 5500 rpm... But it won't change up near the redline...

Its not crunching or anything... it just won't let you into gear...

Now it was fine back in the summer which was when i last really ragged it... But now its being a dick!...

Tried to think of all the things i've done to the car that could have affected it and the only thing i can think of is when i rebuilt the brakes and had the fluid cap of for when i was pumping the brake pedal...

Could this have caused air to become trapped in the clutch hose... there is a bit of play in the clutch pedal before you feel any preasure...????

Spoke to Ian @ Hiteq and he doesn't think its the oil... Said it could be the box but he would be surprised...

Any ideas would be appreciated...

Rishi

MarkTurbo

RishiGTiR said:
Could this have caused air to become trapped in the clutch hose... there is a bit of play in the clutch pedal before you feel any preasure...????
How much play :?:

If theres too much play the clutch wont be disengaging fully which could give you problems selecting gears :wink:

And the brake and clutch systems are totally seperate, so it wont be that.

Rishi

came to a conclusion that the clutch could need bleeding...

also that the flywheel could have been worn down from the HKS Ceramic Paddle which could be causing the free play and so leading to gear change probs...

Any more ideas would still be appreciated...

Rishi

S

samellio

have you tried adjusting the clutch pedal??(just 2 8 or 10 mm bolts at the back of the pedal..even i could do it :wink:) try adjusting that and make the pedal bite higher..

Rishi

samellio said:
have you tried adjusting the clutch pedal??(just 2 8 or 10 mm bolts at the back of the pedal..even i could do it :wink:) try adjusting that and make the pedal bite higher..

The bite is very very low... With the foot to the floor, the slightest lift and it starts bitting...

I'll have a look for these magical bolts and see if that works... Bloody hope so cos otherwise i won't be able to race on Sunday... :(

Rishi

R

rsnissan

sounds like Synchros if its at high RPM unless its doing it in all gears?

S

samellio

Yup that makes perfect sense :wink:
If you can fit yourself into the footwell look at the back of the pedal to see a long thread with 2 nuts on.. (you will only see it if you get right under the dash)... one nut is to lock the other is to adjust i think.. try screwing the nut in to make it bite higher (it might be screw out to make it bite higher can't remember :? )then you should have no problems selecting gear :wink: Don't make it bite too high as the clutch will slip :shock:
If you get stuck pm or something- it should really only take you about 2 mins :wink:

S

samellio

could be synchros as well :? but i reckon it's probably clutch.. I had a similar problem after getting a clutch replaced...

Shaun

:D As samellio say's,i would adjust the bite on the pedal,if as you say the bite of the clutch is very low,then as you drive the car and the hotter it gets,parts expand(clutch plate)so that there is less clearence.Also i always find that "cheapest options first"is a very good rule of thumb :D

MarkTurbo

RishiGTiR said:
The bite is very very low... With the foot to the floor, the slightest lift and it starts bitting...
That'll be your problem then :wink: If not then your syncro's are probably buggered :(

Rishi

All fixed and working PERFECTLY!!!...

The pedal needed adjusting to raise the biting point... it now dissengaging properly and can now change gear smoothly at redline...

Will be racing at the weekend now... :D

Cheers for that Sam... :wink:

K

KRS

My clutch was just like this after i changed the clutch master cylinder, The bite has always been low so thats how i left it, Now my gearbox has exploded, could this be related?

I was also having trouble engaging gears at high rpm

But it won't change up near the redline...
:?

Rishi

KRS said:
My clutch was just like this after i changed the clutch master cylinder, The bite has always been low so thats how i left it, Now my gearbox has exploded, could this be related?

I was also having trouble engaging gears at high rpm

But it won't change up near the redline...
:?

More than likely to be related... Id if the clutch isn't disengaging properly then you will be putting strain somewhere in the gearbox for it to change gear...

Most peeps don't check or adjust the bitting point when changing a clutch... This will lead to eventually destroying the syncros and if contined use with out repair then a broken box...

Rishi

S

Stoned

:shock:

Christ i'm gonna do mine at the weekend then, I didnt even realise you could adjust the bite point!