Help with Blow off!!!

GTiR_Spin

Hey guys, im over here in the US diving into the GTiR modding scene by myself and i need some help. i just installed a type h turbXS blowoff valve with the correct adapter, block off plugs, and custom vaccum piping from all 4 throttle bodies like i saw on mighty mods, haha. the turbo xs blow off spring seems to stiff for my stock boost setting and i was wondering if anybody else has run into this problem? everything runs fine when i put my stock recirc valve back on but i really want to vent atmosphere. the blowoff is not adjustable so wat should i do? do they sell softer springs? it dumps it out when im at peak boost but only for a short time then shuts violently, unlike my stock recirc which still does a nice job. any help would be greatly appreciated.

1cleangtir

I am running the same BOV and it took mine about a week to break in good. I thought the same thing at first but it progressively got louder as the days went by. It is still blowing off even though its not loud. Once the spring breaks in, you will hear the difference.

GTi-R23

Never heard of a BOV needing to be run in before..... Wouldn't this mean that the spring would get progressively weaker over time eventually leading to a boost leak? Or are they similar in design to the SSQV where the boost actually holds the diaphram shut?

1cleangtir

The TurboXS RFL does end up having boost leak issues over time. Or atleast the old ones did. The new Type H hasn't been around long enough to have many longterm reviews.

GTiR_Spin

well i finally called turbo xs since they were closed all weekend and they told me to cut the spring since they were designed to hold more boost

they do have different rate springs for sale but he said for the price of us sending u a spring just to cut off coils gradually untill i get the noise i want. sounds pretty cheap for a blow off originally costing $179

V

vlowe

same one i use, i usually run 1 bar and it dumps fine and its pretty loud. but if i turn the contoller off and run low boost it still chatters and dumps, i actually think it sounds better :D

1cleangtir

after you cut the spring, post up here how it sounds and how much you cut off. i might try it, if it will make it louder.

GTiR_Spin

I cut one inch off the spring and its perfect. i get a real nice sound at full boost throttle lift, and itll still release with minimal boost pressure. i ground down the end of the spring and found a washer to fit exactly the diameter of the brass tube. this way the metal spring doesnt gouge the bov

MORF114

i have a tial 50 and i had to cut the spring i'm just a tight **** and couldnt be arsed buying a softer spring although ill prob end up having to buy a harder one soon!:roll:

I cut off half a coil at a time and drove it untill i heard a noticable difference, probably would have been better to not do it as i have no idea if it holds at full boost yet which it probably wont.:doh: