Help wanted... Head Unit Fitting

S

swanny

Morning guys,

Tried last night to fit the head unit. Owner before me seems to have chopped the panel that holds the head unit facia in place, but this still doesnt really work. It would seem that as standard the 'R dashboard is not built to take a standard head unit :/

What i'm after here are pics / tips of how people fit their head units.

Thanks

A

Andybtsn

I'm having this same problem mate.

Although everyone thought there should be something there to hold the HU, but its just resting on the drink holder basically!

S

swanny

I've seen the posts about putting a couple of bolts in the head unit and then using the dash panel to hold it in from the front... however from looking at the panel it doesnt look like its big enough to house the head unit facia. Has your panel been butchered in order to house the head unit ??

I am thinking of buying another "non-butchered" dash panel and starting again.

geoff pine

theres two screw holes for the cup holder one each side. And above that two more screw holes one each side for the head unit . Each side of the head unit has a small L shape bracket screwed in to it the head unit is then held in by a screw each side . The sleave thing that comes with the unit in the uk was bined how was the original held in. :?

boucherie

there should be a bracket either side of the head unit that you can secure to the sides of the centre console, a standard single din unit will fit in the space. can you put up a pic so i can have alook at the situation. if the head unit is 'resting' on the drinks holder then i suggest you invest in some brackets asap!!

S

swanny

Thanks for the comments.

There was no head unit in the car when I got it, hense me being stuck. I don't have any brackets for the head unit so guessing i need to get a couple of them.

Do you need to use the cage that the head unit comes with ? I'm guessing not. Also what about the facia surrond (ie the bit that clips onto the front of the head unit to hide the bear metal bits). This looks to be bigger than the dash hole.

I will post up some pics tonight when I get home.

Mr GTiR

swanny said:
Also what about the facia surrond (ie the bit that clips onto the front of the head unit to hide the bear metal bits). This looks to be bigger than the dash hole.
This part will not fit on any aftermarket h/u on a grey import from Japan. They were not designed that way. It's the same on my bro's Scooby Type R.

S

swanny

Hmmm thats means its gonna look a bit nasty isn't it.

Does anyone have any piccies ????

OZ-Racing

Yes, you have to leave the facia surround off and ditch the cage, you need to find some brackets ;-)

Here are some piccies of mine installed:

S

swanny

Ah that looks pretty swish.... cheers OZ. Just nipped to Halfords and got some L shaped brackets pity it didnt come with any bolts though :(

I'll have another go at it tonight and see if I can't get it fitting nicely.

Also just been out to car, it would seem that when the lights are on (ie side / full beam) the head unit turns off :/
Guessing previous owner has wired the iso connector in wrong. Where is the best place to take for a head unit feed ? Something that turns on / off with ignition with sufficient power. Guessing its currently on the light circuit but this doesnt have enough juice when lights are also on.

Ideas ??

Will post up some piccies when do.

OZ-Racing

You should be able to find the proper connector block off the loom in there somewhere. Then get the loom adaptor from Halfrauds and you're away :-D

J

jpward

swanny said:
Ah that looks pretty swish.... cheers OZ. Just nipped to Halfords and got some L shaped brackets pity it didnt come with any bolts though :(

I'll have another go at it tonight and see if I can't get it fitting nicely.

Also just been out to car, it would seem that when the lights are on (ie side / full beam) the head unit turns off :/
Guessing previous owner has wired the iso connector in wrong. Where is the best place to take for a head unit feed ? Something that turns on / off with ignition with sufficient power. Guessing its currently on the light circuit but this doesnt have enough juice when lights are also on.

Ideas ??

Will post up some piccies when do.
I run mine from the 12v aux plug and the other connectors should be jap style bullet connectors of various colours i can dig out the colour codes if you need them but you will also still need an ISO connector for the unit.

S

swanny

morning all,

ok, I got the head unit fitted nice and snug using the L shaped brackets cheers all for the advice ;)
With regards to the wiring...the previous owner has wisely chopped it all to buggery so as not to use a ISO converter. I am guessing that the wires have been joined the wrong way round as although the stereo works, if you turn the lights on it turns off ! :(

A mate suggested the 12+ power and illumination leads could be round the wrong way... this would explain that when the lights are turned on the power is cut ... but i am not sure.

Does anyone have a colour code explanation of which wire coming from the loom is which. I have a blue/red wire and a blue wire. Currently the blue goes to the 12+ feed on the head unit, with the blue/red being used as the illumination / memory feed.

Failing that I might just bypass the standard wiring totally and go for a ignition feed.

Thoughts / ideas ?

A

Andybtsn

Dude, do the L brackets have any special name? I need to buy some this weekend. Where did oyu get them from also?

Cheers

S

swanny

I just nipped into the local halfords, the were called Car audit securing brackets and cost a whopping £2 :)

When I get back tonight i'll see if i can have a rummage through the bin and get you the part number.

A

Andybtsn

swanny said:
I just nipped into the local halfords, the were called Car audit securing brackets and cost a whopping £2 :)

When I get back tonight i'll see if i can have a rummage through the bin and get you the part number.
How many packs did you get buddy?

I went to halfords and they only had one pack in, so got 2 brackets, I'm guessing I need 4? What ddi you use? Also how are you bolting them to your car? GET PICS UP!! hehe