Help! rattly noise is windin me up!

A

Anonymous

Alrite!

I had my gtir lump re-built about 3month back. it had new pistons, shells, oil spray rail, hks head gasket, and so on. at the time we decided to make it low compression so in the future id be able to boost it safely and so on.

Its been running beautifully but today when I was going through town I heard a rattly noise at round about 1800 - 3000 revs. Occassionally in the past when i have started her up it has had a pretty loud cammy noise that has lasted literally a second or two - then fine. I just thought this was like oil going up to the head and it wasnt really much of a problem. but this noise doesnt sonud right at all and I want it fixing pronto because I am trying to sell my beloved car! If it makes any odds we put a theromstat in at the weekend but I can't see how that could make any diference. I don't really know if your lot are the same but now iv put a de-cat on it really does stink of fuel out the back and I get bugger all to the gallon! I don't know if this could be timing related, or a fuelling problem but it is winding me up something cronic! Literally I can put a tenner in, blast it for say 10 miles at most and red light is on again.

Sorry one last thing - once in a blue moon when I boot it, it will fly to say 5 grand, then it will like stop revving, make a massive pop out the zaust and then carrying on flying! And it is popping all the time now too.

Oil used is usually 0W40 but after speaking to a local garage I decided to chane that to 10W40.

Help please!

Cheers

A

Anonymous

it usually comes in between 1800-at most 3k.

it doesnt want to be big end damage as Iv not long had it back.

what oil doesnt every1 recommend?

and any more thoughts would be appreciated.

S

skar

i would say its your bearings aswell... get it checked out before you do damage to the crank

i use 10W40 myself.

hope its not bad news :?

kon

A

Anonymous

would you say take it back to the garage? i hope it isn' that because that HKS head gasket was £230!

how much you talking do you reckon? any1 else got any thouts?

A

Anonymous

only other thing is that the shells were replaced at the rebuild so there is no way they have gone through yet surely?

S

skar

yea take it back definately. If its a bottom end bearing then you wont have to take the head off. just drop the big sump.

mine went 3 days after owning the car... it started rattling only on cruising throttle then after a while it was doing it on any throttle. Cost was about $1500 AU if i remember correctly

kon

turblio

How well did you run it in ? and... was the crank reground, changed, or inspected and approved to be within rebuild tolerances as this will play a big part in a warranty claim also who done the engine work?
Frank

A

Anonymous

cheers for that.

i dont know if the crank was inspected. it is a company that most people in nottingham highly recommend called newark engines - at farndon croosroads just outside of (you guessed it) newark! all they do is specalise in engines and rebulding them basically. they seem to know what they are doing and do a variety of cars, last time i was there they were doing a 300zx and a classic maserati - a bit nice!

No work was done on the crank itself, but the bearings were replaced as they were worn through. Im hoping they will sort me out then - I was sort of hoping it was going to be cams given me a good reason to get a credit card and get some lovely HKS cams but unfortunately not then!!!

The car runs fine - revs fine and goes like stink still!!!

A

Anonymous

I ran it in very carefully with taking it on boost for literally well in excess of 500 miles - it rarely went over 3000 revs. the oil was obviously also changed after 500miles. I have only done no more than 3000 miles in the car since the work was done - if that. probably not even 2000 to be honest.

L

LoXy

Hi mate,

i have a friend he spend 11k on his engine about 4 months ago. It was fine when he was running it in but after about 700 miles it started to knock at 1800 to 3500 revs. The bottom bearing went. He took it back got a new bearing fitted. Drove out of the garage , same noise again. They opened up the bottom again to do a further investigation to this problem. Finally they found a little crack on the crank, and that caused the knocking noise and for the bearing to go.

I am 95% sure that this is the case with your motor.

I hope this info will help you or assure you what to look out for.

regards, LoX

A

Anonymous

cheers mate. it sounds more like your classic 1.3 fiesta tappety rattly sound than knocking but all I can do is take it back and let them have a look I guess!

A

Anonymous

hi everybody. come to my car this morning and it is no where near as bad as yesterday. surely if it was big end shells then it would be the same no matter what? could this be more of an oil problem then, perhaps even nothing to do with the bottom end at all. I know that hydraulic tappets can sometimes get a bit too loud.

And btw does anybody else top mount rattle like theres no tommorrow?! Think the casing and cooler itself are rattling or maybe onto the mounts - don't know but its a bit off putting when you trying to figure out what another noise is!!!

MarkTurbo

mr_nismo said:
I know that hydraulic tappets can sometimes get a bit too loud
They can, but our engines dont have hydraulic tappets :wink:

They use solid lifters and shims which is why most R's sound quite noisy compared to other engines.

Are you sure the noise is actually coming from the engine :?: If it dosent do it all the time then it cant be big ends :wink:

You sure it aint the top mount rattling, mine used to do it at a certain revs.

A

Anonymous

yeah buddy i cnt see it bein big end bearings neither to be honest - it aint doing it all the time and it seems a lot better. like a few times just now I revved it up and it didnt seem to make any noise at all. surely if it was big end then it would fell nocky to and run a little bit rough?

Maybe the noise is the shims as you are saying. The top mount does rattle yeah mate, but there is a slightly more cammy noise when u rev it up and only when u rev and sometimes when you hold it. if it were big end then it would rattle as you left off too me dad reckons and he has a lot of experience with engines.

Is there any easy way of checking to see if it is shim related? I thought personally it was coming more from the top end from bottom. I no this might not make any sense but when listening to it on tick over I swear I could hear a rattle sort of noise faintly somewhere between the top mount and throttle bodies - be could just be amplifying in that gap from the head I suppose? any more thoughts?

GINGA

Sounds like big ends to me aswell, especially if the noise changes with load/no load/cruise etc :?:
Even though they were replaced alittle while ago, why were they replaced in the first place and secondly its quite common for people to fit the big end caps around the wrong way as the casting numbers on the caps can be anyway round when assembled and I can only presume they think that they should all face in the same direction when assembled :?

A

Anonymous

If it were big end then it would make most noise when you apply a bit of acceleration and then lot off surely? It cruises fine and if anything is getting better not worse. It is a bit of a stange one, but I will get it looked at by a proper mechanice on monday none the less. thanks for all your thoughts