Help please, Boost Problems - Mines ECU only going to 0.6 on gauge

bfc10

I have been trying to sort out my boost problem my mods are as follows:

Mines ecu
Mongoose exhaust
walbro fuel pump
apexi air filter

Rest of the car is standard, problem is I only get 0.6 on both the standard gauge and an aftermarket one I have checked all the vacuum pipes, actuator opens and closes ok

I have done the 1 bar boost mod and it boosts up to about 0.8/0.9 put it all back and boost is back down to 0.6

Can anyone point me in the right direction to try and sort this problem out :thumbsup:

Cheers in advance

skiddusmarkus

How much boost do you want to run?If its only 0.8-0.9 just stick with the loop.

I don't think the ecu's are that sophisticated in controlling boost, other than limiting it to wastegate pressure(about 0.5bar standard) if it detects knock or on shit fuel.
Is there anyone local to you to let you swap in their standard ecu to rule out the mines causing problems?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
The ECU doesn't read the boost pressure, so it had no idea what pressure you're running at (nor any control over it); it just reads the flow through the MAF. As above, it just closes the solenoid to knock the boost down if it thinks there's an issue.

How are you getting 0.9bar when you test it, but only 0.6bar when you drive? I don't understand about "putting it back"; are you testing it out of the car?

I'd stop messing around with the solenoid and just put a Dawes-style device in set at about 1.2bar as Ben suggests... or 1.0bar if that's what you prefer; I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference to the ECU.

bfc10

Just been reading some more threads and I think I have been a numpty :doh: I have no boost controller on the car so am I right in saying that I will only get a max of 0.6 of boost, and if I want more either do the 1 bar mod or get a Dawes type device and adjust the boost up to a maximum of 1.2 for the Mines ecu to be in safe limits.

I am also running on 100 ron fuel here in Germany so would I have to do any other mods/changes to the setup?

bensmith907

100 ron is perfect. Standard boost is 0.7 (or 0.5 if the ecu detects knock) you should be able to achieve 1bar on the loop and yes you need the boost controller to get a good 1.2bar. Do you have the restrictor in your plenum line?

bfc10

Yes still have standard TMIC so I presume the restrictor is in the metal pipe, I will do the 1bar loop tomorrow and see how I get on.

Just ordered a manual boost controller so will play with that later in the week.

bensmith907

The restrictor isn't in the intercooler pipe its in the rubber hose from the intercooler to the plenum. It should have a green line round it to signify the restrictor, (maybe someone could put a photo up. Or a search should find it)

bfc10

The restrictor pipe is fitted, so when i get the boost controller i will fit it and check it all out later this week

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
If you're installing an after-market controller, you don't need to run the restrictor.

bensmith907

The restrictor isn't in the intercooler pipe its in the rubber hose from the intercooler to the plenum. It should have a green line round it to signify the restrictor, (maybe someone could put a photo up. Or a search should find it)
Do a search or look between the intercooler and the plenum

Fusion Ed

If running 1.2 bar get it checked JUST IN CASE. I'm seeing this more now that these cars under fuel when boost is 1.2. Just be on the safe side get it checked.

bfc10

Right fitted the manual boost controller and set to 1.2 bar on an aftermarket boost gauge, also have a wideband fitted so went out on the autobahn to have a test run, these are the results I eventually got:

3rd gear - 6000rpm - 11.9 afr

4th gear - 6000rpm - 12.1 afr

5th gear - 6000rpm - 11.9 afr

I am running with 100 ron fuel, are these readings ok for my setup?

Fusion Ed

Thats ok, but only half the story. What is it around peak torque and also have you any way to listen for knock?