Help!!! idle chugging

Gtirfan

So one of my friends bought a GTIR yesterday. I came with him but wasn't able to drive the car because the owner ran out of gas. After which my friend who isnt the most mechanically inclined to me the car felt alright.f This friend bought it and we got some gas. So he let me drive it home i noticed a few things wrong. Obviously and one that i can help him fix is the alignment some small rust patches.

The bigger issue we found was chugging while driving. so when you have the gas pedal depressed about an inch or 2 and just cruising the car chugs and hops a little, now this happens at all RPMs. when you push the gas pedal farther and accelerate it smooths out. Anybody know what this might be?

Heres his spec list from the guy we bought it off of:

Nissan Pulsar GTIR 2.1 4wd 270+ BHP

Nissan Pulsar GTIR 1991 import.
Fully forged by spec motorsport in Kent.
This engine was built from a bare block that I personally had vapour blasted with the throttle bodies & inlet system.(see pics)
Block was machine line bored to 87mm with 3.5 thou piston to wall clearance
Pistons & rods weighed & machined for perfectly balanced engine.
Crank ground & polished
Head & block skimmed by Bailey & Liddle in Kent.
It has been built with the best parts.
Manly rods,mahle pistons, mahle oil filter,new genuine oil pump, new water pump, new thermostat, ARP head bolts,studs & flywheel bolts, king racing shells,cometic head gasket,
Full gasket kit from Nissan, exedy sports clutch kit
New full timing chain kit fitted
All new ancillary belts
APEXI Turbo timer fitted and working
New valve stems & seals
Fresh oil change
Kingawa turbo upgrade with braided lines
Full stainless mongoose exhaust system
Stainless manifold cover
Stainless front plate cover
Gold plated rocker cover bolts.
Up rated sports racing blue HT leads.
Iridium plugs.
Bradded oil breather hoses.
Carbon effect air trap for air filter.
Samco heater matrix pipes
& various silicone hoses & chrome intercooler pipes, rear wiper delete, lots of little extras around the car.

HKS dump valve.
HKS water cap.
SYTEC Fuel pressure regulator set up,
Walbro 255 uprated in tank fuel pump.
Oil catch can, new vacuum inlet manifold system, hydro dipped rocker cover, K&N air filter, front mount evo style intercooler set up power flex drop links
Home made indicator air intake indicator lens.

Full GTIR phase 1 spec interior.
Custom grey replica umbrella in the original OEM holder.
Custom made leg rests (driver & passenger side)
Battery re located in boot.
Screen washer bottle re located to boot
LED interior light, blue GTIR custom floor matts, parcel shelf speaker,spare wheel cover, flair in foot well & white GTIR clocks & gauges.
Double din Jvc dvd,dab,tv,cd player.
Pillar pod boost gauge.
Nismo seat belt covers (front & rear)
Electric windows, electric mirrors, central locking, power steering.

Fully refurbished 14” original Alloys powder coated in ice white.
I believe these are dynamic Alloys !!

Car Painted in Subaru blue
(Sonic blue)
Fully colour coded plastics & mirrors

Car has been under sealed.
Front Cusco adjustable strut brace.
Tien adjustable top mounts.
Rebuilt front break callipers & new ebc pads.

Any help would be awesome.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Air leak on the inlet system somewhere?
Check every hose you can on the engine intake (including turbo pipe work) for splits and security.

Gtirfan

Thanks for the brain storming everybody. really appreciate it. So next week Im throwing the car on a lift. Gonna reshim the motor, change the fuel filter again, test fuel pressure (have a friend who thinks it might be a fuel issue), then i'll check everything else you guys have said to.

johnny gtir

Not sure of the situation but might be worth finding the fault before you re shim.
Has the car been sitting ?

Check for air leaks fit a set of copper core plugs gap them. Try them before you pull rocker off etc would be my advice

Gtirfan

Awesome thanks I'll make sure the gaps are right then.

Anybody live near Cambridge that wants to ride so they help on ideas?

keastygtir

this is going to be ignition (plugs, leads, damp, distributor etc). I would fix the problem before making any other changes

Gtirfan

Found the distributor caps post are worn alot. So replacing that and the rotor arm. Found a plug thats running lean. Gonna change all the plugs with ngk and properly gap them

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Plugs don't run lean they just ignite the charge. If it's running lean it could be an injector.

Gtirfan

So we changed the spark plugs and found plugs 2,3 and 4 were burned. Plug 1 was a little black but not bad. Also changed the distributor and rotor and that fixed the chugging. Now we just need to figure out the low idle (idles from 1100 drops to 900) and the lean cylinders. Hopefully the two are connected. Thanks for everyone's helps so far! You're an awesome community

keastygtir

So we changed the spark plugs and found plugs 2,3 and 4 were burned. Plug 1 was a little black but not bad. Also changed the distributor and rotor and that fixed the chugging. Now we just need to figure out the low idle (idles from 1100 drops to 900) and the lean cylinders. Hopefully the two are connected. Thanks for everyone's helps so far! You're an awesome community
Good job, thought it would be electrical

Gtirfan

Sorry for never getting back to you guys, thanks for all the help. i bought the car and found out the issue. tore then engine down and found the cams journals were worn and the vibrations caused the head to lift (had arp head stud so thin that might be also a issue) :angry: dude sold it to my buddy saying to just reshimm it but i had a feeling he knew what was up. hopefully everybody is staying safe.just waitinf for the head shop to open back up to get it back. they sent it off to get super heated and new aluminum sprayed so they can fix it. going to take the car back to america to swap a vet engine from a xtrail and found a ausie shop that sells a kit to mount a evo transmission to it.