Heater only blows cold AIR - IM FREEZING !!!!

E

Eyore

HELP !!!

for some strange reason my heater only wants to blow cold now... it only ever used to blow hot.... are there any fuses etc that i should be checking b4 i start to take the whole thing apart ???

Used to only work on setting 3 - full blow but now works on all Auto/1/2/3 but it's only cold...

paz

Sounds like it was shagged anyway, but whats the running temperature of the car, because mine did that once when it was overheating.

Paz

antgtir

Could also be the thermostat, if this is broke then the thermostat will just be stuck open and wont hold the water back in the engine to heat up.

Shouldn't be too much ££ to change for a new one, and they are easy to do too.

Ant.

K

KrissJ

I had this problem on an old car (along with other probs) and it was the head gasket that had gone :shock:

Check for creamy gunk under the oil cap and really high pressure in the rad pipes.

ram5ay

You could check if the heater controlls are working the f l a p s on the heater box itself behind the dash. They could be connected manually with cables, or they might work of switches and electric motors, in any case you should be able to hear the flap operating with the ign on when you switch between hot and cold.
I've also seen a few heater matrix blocked up inside with rust and gunk, causing the heater to blow cold only, you can sometimes sort this by running a hose through it backwards to wash the crap out.
Hope this helps a bit.
:wink:

Mr GTiR

first thing to check is both the heater matrix pipes that go through the bulk head. Get the car upto running temp and feel if BOTH these pipes have any heat through them. if they do then your it show that hot water into going into the heater fan and it's a problem with your electric switch or flaps as suggested above.

If the pipes are cold then it's a problem on the engine side. Either h/g blown, thermosat or a blocked pipe if one pipe is hot and the other cold.

Checking these pipes will point you in which direction to look at.

K

KrissJ

yeah, heater matrix, forgot that. If there's a leak it can stop the heat and/or blowers.

E

Eyore

Well The good news is that it now blows on all speeds as it should !
There is no sign of head gasket oil/water mixing !
and after lots of looking and playing ive found that there's a motor controled arm that moves with the slider on the heater control but it's not connected at the other end and i cant see of find where it should go.... any guesses !?!?!

Thanks guy's...