Headunit surround?

A

Andybtsn

While fititng my headunit the other day, it occured to me the thing is totally unstable.

Basically there is nothing either side of the headunit, the cup holders below, the fan control unit I could push the pins on the metal surround up, but thats it?

So how do people secure their headunit securely?

Cheers

paz

Mines got a cage which it screws into - it could be that you've either not seen it, its not there, or the securing pins aren't there. Take another look and see what you can see ;)

paz

CruiseGTi-R

In the side of your hu casing you should have numerous threaded holes.

I screwed in one bolt per side of the hu, using a nut on the bolt to lock the bolt off with say 15mm sticking out. If you position the bolts in the right hole the bolts jam up against sections of the dash structure at the right point where the hu needs to sit.

This holds the hu in place stopping it falling further into the dash.

The black plastic dash surround (which houses the four square dash buttons) goes over the hu (hu installed first). On mine this ‘clamps’ over the hu surround to stop hu from falling out the dash under hard acceleration. Dash surround needed a little careful sanding to get a good fit over hu surround.

Sodding dash is a mess in the pulsar – I’ve grand plans to make a full new replacement. Strip the lot. Nothing Max Power, but a set up for fast road use, say 5 key dials in a line, one or two din slots, heater/air con box, solid clamp for laptop, and that’s it (maybe cupholder from a 350Z :)).

Anyway, hope that helps.