headlight replacment

G

gtirron

can you get a replacment for the head lights, i have tried brighter bulbs and they are still s**t, is it just my car or is this common, anybody know on any other types that will fit :?:

G

GTI-R Kid

I uprated my bulbs from 55/60w to 80/100w and found that there was quite an improvement.

But i also found that the original bulbs were quite good, and only upgraded because i've done it in previous cars and been pleased with the results.

Well other than fitting higher wattage bulbs it also helps if u have a proper set of relays fitted. This would help by having less current drawn and hence helps to brighten up abit.
I'm using 100w with relays fitted. It is okay but just that u dont get much distance on high beam when u're in the country side.
To compensate that i fitted a pair of Hella Comets that just fits nicely in the bumper with abit a cutting required to fit them.
But if u want brighter lights if u dont mind the looks it is highly recommended to fit a pair of axuliary lights.
Just like the ones on the Rally cars like the Piaa 80 series or the Hella Rallye 4000.
But if u have the budget it is highly recommended to fit those xenon Hella Luminators. Makes the dark into day.
But if u want something the size of a handfist and fits nicely on the R without cutting the bumper u could try the Hella Micro(not to sure of the exact model). Some small projector like xenon. Just perfect on the street.

I dont recommend really to convert the headlamps to xenon as H4 type of lense dont really give it a good spread and it tends to blind on coming traffic if not adjusted properly.
If u're willing to go the extra length u might wanna try retro fitting BMW 5 series "angel Rings" bi xenon lights. I've a few friends back here who fitted it on their Nissan Sentras B13.
Cheers

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
My headlights seem realy good to me. Bright white light, not that murky dull light you get off alot of cars.

G

gotoinstant-redline

mine are good. just 100w bulds. normal h4 jobbies.
but for them dark roads i am gonna build my own rally pod for the bonnet :) and stick 4 very high power main beam light in there!

L.

A

Anonymous

Mine came with XENON HID globes in it when I imported it, they put out a bright blue light similar to Audi lights. Brighter than my mates new wrx.

G

gtirron

i fancy xenon hid, i have a mate with a 172 an the lights are good, can you get bmw type ones fitted to an R

G

gotoinstant-redline

you can fit what you like to any car.. its just how much work you want to put into fitting them :)

i had the idea of getting the quad lamp set for the 106gti and sticking them in my own bit of fibreglass or carbon so they fit the R. they are mega bright and would fit in easy.

L.

G

GTI-R Kid

GoToInstant-Redline said:
i had the idea of getting the quad lamp set for the 106gti and sticking them in my own bit of fibreglass or carbon so they fit the R.
Someone with a Silver Sunny (not in UK as far as i know - think its in Japan) fit a twin headlamp set originally designed for a Polo. Think there are pics of it on www.gti-r.com and on www.gtiroc.com

I'll go have a look for one. :wink:

G

GTI-R Kid

Found it. :)

Theres a "how to" in the photo section of the gtir yahoo group.

G

gotoinstant-redline

he's in sweeden or summint like that i think. i emailed him ages ago and got loads of pics etc.
he has done his own rear lights too. i think it was a bit odd that he didnt spray the new lights the same colour as the rest of the car!

but yeh that sort of idea.

L.

C

charlie

Ok, for those who wanted to know- i will now try and define HID lamps.

Your normal car headlight lamps use a filament, like usual old lights in your house, when you turn them on, the filament gets hot and glows- emitting light. Nice and simple and it works.

HID - Stands for High intensity discharge. And its name is quite acurate, there are different types of dascharge lamps, and i dont know what the ones in cars are, but, they work by the discharge of electricity across basicly a gap. Almost like jumping a spark across a gap through a gas. The disadvantage is they require a ballast to strike because to get the electricity to jump the gas a high voltage is needed. This makes them expensive (and the lamps themselves). The system is almost like your normal fluorescent tube, but no phosphoric coating.

Anyway, these are the lamps you see in most police Omegas, a very purple but like daylight kind of light.

I await every other sparky on the boards to come and correct me now :roll: :lol: