Head Refit

PulsarLee

Hi Guys,

Just putting my head back on and think i may have dropped a bollock.....:doh:
Had the head skimmed and the company had to take what i think is a location spring tension pin out of the head before skimming (its about 12 mm dia and about the same in length. I have just put the head back on with a new gasket and placed the head bolts in loosely, however i have just found this bloody dowel pin on my bench........doooo. will it have any detroment not fitting this or should i take the head back off as i havent torqued it up yet?

Also, looking at the online manual, it appears to suggest that liquid gasket should be applied to the head before fitting the gasket (around the timing chain end of the block)?? any thoughts guys as I intended to put on totally dry.

cheers,

Lee

PUL54R

I would have thought the gasket would be ok to re-use as you haven't tightened the head bolts up. Not sure about the liquid gasket stuff though. Might be worth getting some and putting it on seeing as your taking the head off again.

Trip

Those pins are needed to align everything in place and they are a must.

You should place a dab of gasket sealer between the oil pump and block.

PulsarLee

Those pins are needed to align everything in place and they are a must.

You should place a dab of gasket sealer between the oil pump and block.
Hiya Trip,

There is only 1 of these spring location dowells. I will take the head bolts out and fit this in the head and bolck, does it just tap in half way either side just as a location aide? / do I need to have it in place now that I have got the gasket aligned and the bolts loosly in place?

Also re the dab of sealant between the oil pump and block, - i havent removed the oil pump, was just querying if any had to be used anywhere between the head and block when fitting the H/G.

Cheers,

Lee

Trip

i am not sure if we are on the right page. I am talking about the two dowels. One located bottom left of cylinder1 and the other bottom right of cylinder4

Trondelond

I forgot to put mine in, I couldn't live with knowing they weren't were they were supposed to be. I was told i _probably_ would be ok, but this isn't an area where I'm willing to take chances. You may want to ask yourself the same question. :) I thought there were two of the dowels?

I think trip meant between the oil pump and head. :) So yes - you should use sealant between the oil pump and head.

stumo

There should be two dowels, one at the front and one at the back on the same side of the block.

They line up the head/ block/gasket.

What head gasket are you using?

depending on if there's any damage to the gasket you should be able to use it.