head gasket

Murff93GTiR

Ive just bought a cosworth headgasket thats for an sr20det engine but the 200sx.i was informed all i needed to do was enlargen the holes for the dowels slighty and all would be well but upon fitting it before modifing i notice that some of the big holes at the side of the bores were blanked off with by the headgasket and also at the back of the engine where the gasket is it takes a slightly different shape i.e an extra two hole where yoi can see part of the block surface.can anyone shed some light on this as its the second head gasket ive bought now.

mikeyp

that is a standard gtir head gasket. many of the large holes are blocked but there are some small ones in thier place. if you look you can see the coolant rust on the surface of the gasket but only small holes in most of them, if at all.
think there are 13 small holes and 6 large for the water. been looking at s14 gaskets myself today.

Murff93GTiR

Cheers guys.its an 87mm gasket and its awful close to the edges of the bores.will this be ok?im just quite panicky as its my first build and dont want it to go tits up.ive got a few pics that ill put up in a bit.

mikeyp

err on the subject of head gaskets, i've just got my new one and need to clean both the block and head. i was going to use an old bank card as a scraper so i can't scratch the soft aluminium surface.

any other tips?

Murff93GTiR

Use fine sandpaper like 800grit and wd40 itll lift the dirt but wont put big scores in the block and as for the head youll need to get it skimmed then you wont need to touch tue surface of it.

mikeyp

do i really need to have the head machined seeing as i had no problem with the last head gasket?

red reading

If you are doing a build it is always best to get the head and block skimmed to fit mls gaskets. if that is the engine in the pic above you are fitting the gasket to i would check/renew the pistons as it looks like det damage on the crown.

mikeyp

nah the picture was taken from another topic from somone else that was wondering about thier engine.
my pistons are fine with zero damage and the head gasket was perfect.
i just took the head off to check the ringlands on the pistons, to better inspect the bores and clean out oilways, which are all fine. in hindsight i didn't need to take the head off but i wanted to, so i knew everything was ok rather than just assuming.

i'm using a standard nissan head gasket.

red reading

800 wet and dry with wd40 then to clean all the old shit off, and fit the new gasket. just make sure you torque the head down as per nissans specs, then slacken all head bolts off till loose then torque down again and it will be fine.