head gasket failure

Jamaala1

Awh man here we go again. I just recently installed a fmic on my car. I took my car for a test drive today only to discover that white smoke was coming from the exhaust. I figured something was wrong so I checked the dip stick, water did indeed mix with the oil :shock: . How hard is it to replace the head gasket myself? I trying to order a gasket set from eric performance now, any help would be appreciated guys.

mattytappy

If you have all the brackets at the back of the engine its a pig to do in the car as you just cant get your hands on all the clips on the back of the plenum chamber to undo them....so in retrospect if i where to mine again i would definatly drop the engine which really isnt as bad as it may sound.

In the long run i promise it will save you hassle down the line some where.

Regards

matty

yer engine out deffo!
At least once you got the engine out you can check anything you want and replace it if needs be. I still don't know how people on here manage to remove heads with engine still in situe :?
It really isnt that bad dropping the engine, just need plenty of time and patience.

Jamaala1

Thanks for the fast response, i figured i was gonna have to do that, oh well, i guess there is a first time for everything. Kinda wish i could buy those Samso hoses, the Dollar to pound coversion is not in my favour at all.

Just give it a go mate, i did it and i didn't have a clue how to do it, or what i was doing, i just followed the guide on here which was very usefull.
As for the samcos...... even if you did have the money it's a 5-6 week wait for them to be made, and tbh, your better off going to nissan directly. I know the quality isn't as good but they are the manufacturers reccomendation lol.

Radleigh

Is it fook an engine out job! mine was off, head was skimmed in a few days.

Put new gasket on and off I went!

Shaun

jambo_gtir said:
You guys are talented then, or have very small hands with lots of cuts on them now lol.
:lol: I must be talented then:lol: as i have a pound of Walls for fingers:lol:

mattytappy

To be honest now all my bracketry is gone its a damm site easier to do it again in situ but like i said if i where to do it again on a lump with all the top mount supporting y brackets on the back as alot of people still have left on i would defo drop the engine.....:)

Its far easier to get to all those poxy pipes and idle control valves and cooland sensor clips which unless you have arms like ET and not like popeye...( moi ) its a bitch to get them undone....plus you can jet wash the lump when its out and ,make look nice and clean....lovely jubbly;-)

MarkTurbo

Without the Y bracket on the back of the engine its a 2 hour job to get the head off with the engine in the car ;-)

Even with all the brackets on its far easier to spend an extra hour or so taking them off than dropping the engine :der:

snoon

on my mates work computer (He is a mechanic) it says it is a 13 hour job to do the head gasket on the R!

Load of bollox

Jamaala1

i know this may sound stupid, my friend tried playing mechanic today and misplaced 2 of the 3 bolts that connect the intercooler and turbo. Does anyone know the size of these bolts?

Again thanks for all the response to this post.

Last edited:

Jamaala1

quick update, sorry for being a posting whore...
i decided to open up the valve cover and discovered that my spark plugs were drenched in oil. i dont really know exactly what that means ???

MORF114

Think the bolts are 10x1.25 not 100% sure tho i recently threw away all my std parts .

Have you got the o ring gaskets round the spark plug holes on the valve cover?

MarkTurbo

Jamaala1 said:
i know this may sound stupid, my friend tried playing mechanic today and misplaced 2 of the 3 bolts that connect the intercooler and turbo. Does anyone know the size of these bolts?
If your on about the blts on the hardpipe off top of the turbo their m6x1 ;-)

Suppose once you have the anoying 'Y-Bracket' off the back it would be easier. I certainly won't be trying again tho lol.

Last edited:

Jamaala1

thanks Mark turbo, picked some new bolts up today. I cleaning out the spark plug chamber today, changing the oil and putting on a valve cover seal. Thanks again everyone.