Head Gasket Failure

S

swanny

Hi Chaps,

I have just had the RAC as I had steam coming from my engine bay. They have diagnosed the fault as head gasket failure !!! :doh:

It's the usual, creamy stuff coming from rad cap, loss of heat from heater so It's def looking like head gasket has gone.

What the feck do I do now ?! Can you advise how much i'd be looking at for a garage to do the job ? Is it something a clever member from the board would fancy doing for cash ?

I feel like crying :(

S

swanny

Just been advised to sell as a "project car" :( :(

Do you think this is the best option ?

S

swanny

Just as was really. She was just under 300bhp. But I think the cold weather caused the boost to be a bit too high and has caused the failure in the gasket.

Just want to be standard setup really, and running a bar of boost.

rossdj1983

id go for something like a hks 1.2mm head gasket, that way you no the chances of it happening again are f all. id probably say in total youd be looking around the £500 mark depending on your garage rate

P

pulsarboby

where are you based swanny? if your not to far away il do it for you!
but the head would need to be checked out fully for warpage / cracks etc!

oh and thunderblob! stop keep altering my signature, everyones gonna think im a fudgepacker:shock: :lol:

S

swanny

Boby,

That would be wicked if you could ! I'm in Portsmouth dunno if thats too far from you buddy.

Ross - Cheers buddy, at least that gives me a ball park of the worst case.

P

pulsarboby

aah! bit too far swanny its about 2-3 hrs from me, and i would have to come back once head was checked, so it would mean two trips!
sorry mate, if you had been just across the water in kent or anywhere upto 1hrs drive i would have done it for you!

P

pulsarboby

book time to change head is 14hrs most garages charge minimum of £35 hour, so i reckon your looking at £500 labour costs minimum, plus parts!

although i would have done job a lot cheaper, it aint a nice job with engine in situ!

S

swanny

Doh Doh and Doh !

The mot is just about to expire soon. What you think a 300bhp (give or take) ivory white Pulsar with no ticket, tax and head gasket failure would be worth ?

She's in fairly good nick bar the nasty head gasket :(

O

Odin

swanny said:
Doh Doh and Doh !

The mot is just about to expire soon. What you think a 300bhp (give or take) ivory white Pulsar with no ticket, tax and head gasket failure would be worth ?

She's in fairly good nick bar the nasty head gasket :(

Why would you sell a car just because the head gasket has gone :der: , My 5hitron is in the garage today having the heater matrix changed and that's going to cost me over £500 :doh: , Maybe you could arrange to trailer your car up to Bobby to get it fixed, Things brake I'm afraid fella its just one of those things that are associated with car ownership ;-) .

Value as it is with out tax or M.O.T would be about £1000 I recon, You wont get much more than that. Just fix the bl00dy thing and stop being a whiny big girls blouse :roll: ;-) .

Rob

S

swanny

Garage reckon best case £1000, but I suspect i'll need to source a head too.

O

Odin

swanny said:
Garage reckon best case £1000, but I suspect i'll need to source a head too.
Why's that then ????, Did you run the car hot for a while then ?.

It may need a 50 quid skim but thats about it unless you've ran hot for quite a while.

Rob

S

swanny

Even though the temp gauge read ok (cos there was no water in the circuit) the I spotted the oil temp was up around 110 / 120 on the standard gauge.

:(

Last edited by a moderator: