Head gasket change costs

G

Gaz-R

Could some one please inform me of the going rate for a head gasket change. I have been quoted that it could take upto 30 hours to do the job properly and at a cost of near £1000 :shock: i have been told that this is way to much and I would like to know what the going rate is and where to get it done in the anglia area.

Your help will be much appreciated

Gary

zia

1000 :( way to much i would say max 200 if friend was doing it.
p.s what makes you certain it is head gasket.any tell tail signs
low comp?
oil water mix?
high water temps,overheating?

zia

N

Nikki

Symptoms are:

High oil temp
White mayo on oil filler cap and inside rocker cover
Losing water

How much would you expect to to pay from a garage for repair? Dont have any handy mates. :(

zia

unless you know the garage personally or know somebody working there
you,ll get charged considerably and occianally recieve poor serve( there are exceptions of course) where in anglia are you? any decent tuners near you?

zia

G

Gaz-R

Im near peterborough, and no there isnt any good tuners round here that I know of but I could be wrong. The place I have taken it to is a place called hi-tec, its only about a mile from my house and he has over 15 years main dealer experience. If only the previous owner had told me of the problem with the high oil temp I could have got it sorted when mike came up to fit the turbo :x

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Try pm'ing Mike (ex-gtir) in Kent. I don't know if he does head gaskets, but it's worth asking as he'll be alot cheaper than that, and he knows the Gtir well. :D

C

charlie

didnt mike just do his turbo?

unlucky though gaz, im sure it'll all be sorted soon. You will have to take a ride in this direction one day so i can have a drool 8)

G

gotoinstant-redline

zia said:
1000 :( way to much i would say max 200 if friend was doing it.
p.s what makes you certain it is head gasket.any tell tail signs
low comp?
oil water mix?
high water temps,overheating?

zia
what are you talking about?!!! the fooking gasket is 223quid!!! then there is the work to be done! if there is any damage to the head or block then that needs skimming and it all needs crack testing. plus you need to make sure the head and block are not warped. and this is a hard job to do your self!!!!

dont skimp or you'll just end up doing it again in 3 months!!!!

hiteq are highly recommended by a large number of R drivers!!! i have never heard a bad word said about hiteq. the only thing is that cos they are so good, they are very busy and thus takes ages to get you in and sorted.

L.

A

Anonymous

what are you talking about?!!! the fooking gasket is 223quid!!!
Is that for a Nissan one or an uprated job?

They can stick it up their arse and shit if its 223 quid for a stinking standard job.

Dan

nickg123

FULL Gasket set from Nissan is about £150 - that's EVERYTHING, not just the Head gasket.

An HKS thicker gasket will be around £200 - but i wouldn't bother personally.

G

GTI-R Kid

nickg123 said:
FULL Gasket set from Nissan is about £150 - that's EVERYTHING, not just the Head gasket.
Pardon my ignorance - but everything means what exactly? And is there a specific part number for the set or is it made up of a heap of numbers?

E

Edd

Also i would have thought that Gaz's car having had a full engine rebuild, balanced bottom end etc would have had a metal head gasket fitted so to keep the compression ratio the same it would be best to fit the same thickness metal headgasket again :)

G

Gaz-R

The car is at a hi-tec, Its a garage not far from me and the bloke who runs it worked for nissan main dealer for 15yrs+ and knows his stuff. He is going to do a full check over the engine to make sure every thing is ok.
mike did offer to do it for me but at the moment, in the situation im in its best to let the garage do it and let me know exactly just what sort of condition the engine is in.

Charlie Boy

If I get the car sorted and running as it should have been last week then I will pop down to show you, If the car can stay trouble free for more than a week that is :evil: :wink:

nickg123

Starting to sound like you regret buying it mate :(

Full Gasket set - Head Gasket, Manifold Gasket, Inlet Manifold Gasket, Rocker cover Gasket, All of the gaskets basically.

Can't remember the Part code but Nissan should find it fairly easily!

G

Gaz-R

It one hell of a car, thats for certain. I was looking forwad to enjoying what I have spent £8000+ on but its in the garage within a week :evil:
Never mind, Hopefully soon I will be able to enjoy it.

Not bad for a RELIABLE 1.4 bar runner :wink:

Jobi Joba

GoToInstant-Redline said:
what are you talking about?!!! the fooking gasket is 223quid!!! then there is the work to be done! if there is any damage to the head or block then that needs skimming and it all needs crack testing. plus you need to make sure the head and block are not warped. and this is a hard job to do your self!!!!
std head gasket IS cheap...for 200gbp you have a reinforced one...

Porting the head is about 30gbp...no more!As the car has had a rebuilt few months ago,I guess other gaskets are still ok...Removing the head is NOT that hard...and keeping the right timing is just a matter of patience...and if you use nail paint (don't know the righ word for this thing I don't use for my own nails... :D ) it gonna be really easy...

Sorry you live too far from me...I would have taken 100gbp for the work... :roll:

G

Gaz-R

Cheers for the offer mate but the garage has been instructed to write up a report. I need a garage report before I can think about getting it sorted :(