gti-r breaking plugs

S

str_motorsport

hi, it seems that my gti-r likes to break plugs....
what could it be?timing?fuelling?boost?
i used to run 1,1 bar of boost with a chipped ecu and hks s45i plugs...the car was fine and fast!!but last summer i got a problem, less performance and so i dropped boost to standard....but later io got a broken plug....
since then i have left boost to standard level, but now i got another broken plug.
what could it be?fuel pump is a walbro one and fairly new....
no fault codes. fuelling is ok according to the air- fuel meter and the additional o2 sensor.any ideas?
this could be caused to bad quality fuel ?sicne my car on 95 seems slower than before and it seems to run on safety map...could it be a faulty det sensor?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Don't run the Gtir on 95ron in your country. (or ours even) unless it is specifically mapped for 95ron. Use the highest you can buy.

I assume you have a fairly hot climate in Italy, that will cause you engine to run hotter and you need all the help against detonation you can get. The highest octane rated fuel you can get is a way to help.

How is it breaking the plugs? Melting the tips?

Has it broken plugs on 98ron or just 95ron. You could back the timing off a little or drop the boost if you wanted.

S

str_motorsport

in italy 98 ron or shell v power 99 ron is available since 2 years now.
before that i always used 95 ron fuel, as usggested on the service manual.
it broke the plug with 95 ron fuel...and always worked good!!even at more boost!!
not melting, breaking the ceramic point of the plug.
the car is not running rich at at all.....i try to raise pressure to see if it runs richer....but no chance!!!
i really don't know which is the problem....
i have checked everything,fuel pump voltage and i have also added a new relais and new wires, because i found that voltage to the pump was low, but this has not fixed the problem...
now it seems that the AFM voltage is a bit too high that stated on the service manual...could this be the problem?
could a faulty head gasket cause detonation?

zia

are you using standard top mount? is the engine heating up alot? have you tried retarding the timing to use the 95 ron fuel? heat gasket can cause knocking , which will have other symptons high water temp,water usage,white smoke occasionally,try using colder plugs and reducing the gap

zia

S

str_motorsport

i have a front mounted intercooler and i already use hks s45i plugs!!like a 9 ngk plug.
water temp while driving is always between 75 and 80 °, when not running it reaches 95° then the fans came on to colol it...is it normal?could this high temp be caused by the front mounted intercooler?

zia

it sound like the engine is overheating the fan should cut in when the temp reaches 3/4 of the guage ,leave the fan on continous and check your temp guage see what level it remains at. an egt guage will also tell you if your engine is knocking. and overheated by lean mixture.also try find a c.o machine to check mixture, hc readings.the front mount will reduce the intake temp which should keep knocking away

zia