Greddy Profec B Version 2 and Boost Leak

paz

Hi All,

This might just turn out to be a learning point for me, but who knows.

The pulsar has a greddy profec B spec 2 fitted, with 2 settings - 1 bar and 1.2 bar. It also has a sheepdog type BOV fitted (it makes that same fluttery noise at low boost).

When I first got the car, if I changed gear and the car was only boosting slightly (i.e. 0.3ish bar) it would make that fluttery noise. Recently it has stopped fluttering and instead I've heard a slow 'tish' type noise coming from the passenger footwell area (the type a bus would make when it releases its air brakes but quieter). A friend of mine with a standard pulsar had a similar thing on his car, and it turned out that one of the hoses had popped off under the original interwarmer and it was running unlimited boost which we all know happens. My car has a front mount, so I'm not sure what would happen with these vacuum hoses from the original warmer - would they all plug into the new BOV or would some be discarded?

At the same time, I've noticed the greddy controller flashing red at me. According to Greddy this happens when the boost setting + tolerance is exceeded, and the controller reacts appropriately to bring the boost back down to a safe level. Now I'm not sure if its always done this and I've just not noticed, or the 2 things are linked together (it would make sense if they were). The controller is adjusting appropriately and limiting boost to 1.3 bar, so there's no real risk of damage (although I'm not driving the car at the mo in case).

So, the two questions I guess are:

1) Does this sound like I have a boost leak?
2) Do other people with greddy profec b spec 2 controllers regularly see them flash red or do they think this should only be the case if somethings not right?

I'm going to check over as many of the vacuum hoses as possible on saturday, starting with the BOV - hopefully its just something on there thats blown over. If that doesn't turn anything up, I'll have to go more indepths. A friend of mine suggested connecting up to an air line and blowing air through the system- does anyone have any thoughts on that?

Cheers all :thumbsup:

Paz

Last edited:

GTIR-LOZ

the controller has a warning set funtion where it flashes red when the boost level you set in the warning menu is exceeded you can then adjust the controller to lower the boost by a set percentage to reach your desired pressure

this is what you have happening

on my R the hose from the profec goes throught the hole in the firewall down behind the heater motor i.e the passanger footwell this may well be the place to check first as maybe the hose has chafed through

is the noise constant or only when you back off the throttle if its constant then it will be an air leak

the controller works like the standard solenoid it hold the pressure back from the actuator until the desired pressure is reached then open the solenoid to allow the wastegate to open via the actuator iirc the pressure is taken off the manifold vacuum feed i.e the same hose that connects to the topmount where your friend had it disconnected it would be wise to check here as well as if it gets no pressure to the solenoid then it cant open the actutor/wastegate