Good Year Eagle F1 owners

C

Crazy

Just had a look at my tires as I was washing my beast and I have noticed that on both front tyres I have worn them both down really bad to the point where you can feel the little bits of metal sticking out :eek:

Basically these tyres have only been on the car since I bought the O.Z Superleggra's a few months back, the wear is only on the insides of both tires but I had my car set to the specs that Whitle-line have on their website for fast road driving when we fitted the tires :eek:

After checking my milage it seems that I have only done 2000-3000 miles on them which is not good, they stick like glue but I cannot afford 2 new tyres every couple of thousand miles :(

I run Tein coilovers with top and bottom strut braces/bumpsteer kit and a few other Whiteline bits if that helps.

How many miles do you guys get on your Good Year Eagle F1's???

youngsyp

I'd go get your alignment checked again mate. Even with Whitelines settings, you shouldn't get excess wear on the insides. You should only notice this with more than 2 degrees of negative camber and upward, I would have thought ?!

Have you changed your tire pressures since you had the set up ? I dropped mine by 5 psi and noticed that the NSF has been wearing on the outside edge ! However, Milton Keynes does have a lot of round abouts so, this is probably a big part of the cause :oops: :wink: !

Cheers

Paul

C

Crazy

Is that 10K of just pottering around V or 10K of real driving :?:

As I only use my car on weekends or when I am going for a spirited drive so I drive my car fairly hard but 2000-3000 just seems rediculas (SP) :oops:

And to the rest of you guys that have not commented yet:

C

Crazy

I'd go get your alignment checked again mate. Even with Whitelines settings, you shouldn't get excess wear on the insides. You should only notice this with more than 2 degrees of negative camber and upward, I would have thought ?!

Have you changed your tire pressures since you had the set up ? I dropped mine by 5 psi and noticed that the NSF has been wearing on the outside edge ! However, Milton Keynes does have a lot of round abouts so, this is probably a big part of the cause !

Cheers

Paul
Not changed my tyre pressures lately, 37psi front with 34psi rears :?

Yes there are loads of round abouts near me too but the out sides of the tyres are perfect and you can even still see the read/green wear indicators on them too.

One thing I do remember is that the company that fitted my Bumpsteer kit were unsure of how the kit locked in place as there were no locking nuts with the kit so I just asked another member on here how they locked in place and just printed the PM off and gave it to them :?

Could the bumpsteer kit/track rod ensd have adjusted them selves causing the negative camber while driving???? (Silly question but you never know)

paz

I didn't get much on my last set, maybe 5k. I changed to toyo's to see if that was any better and they've gone after about the same amount of time.

I've just come to the conclusion that the GTIR eats front tyres for breakfast, dinner and tea :roll:

Paz

C

Crazy

I didn't get much on my last set, maybe 5k. I changed to toyo's to see if that was any better and they've gone after about the same amount of time.

5K is still better than what I am getting :wink:

But when I bought the car it was on 54,000miles and came with some Lenso 17's with some cheap tyres on and they lasted all the way to 61,000miles, when I sold them and the person I sold them to thought they were nearly new and I had really abused those tyres and they were fine :? :?

My thinking is that its something to do with the bump steer kit.

youngsyp

Crazy said:
Could the bumpsteer kit/track rod ensd have adjusted them selves causing the negative camber while driving???? (Silly question but you never know)
I guess it's possible but, that shouldn't effect camber (which will normally cause the sort of wear you have), just toe ?! However, I guess if the tires are out of alignment, any sort of wear is possible ?! I'd get it checked when you have a new set of fronts on there !!

I was just thinking, my Yoko AVS tires have lasted almost 2 years now (probably 20k miles) and I'm pissed that I have to buy a new set :shock: :lol: I was going to go for the Eagle F1 GSD3 but, I may change my mind now :wink:

Cheers

Paul

O

Odin

Crazy said:
Is that 10K of just pottering around V or 10K of real driving :?:
That was hard driveing to and from work everyday :twisted: plus a few trips to the pod as well, I only killed them because of the last track day at japfeast 8) :lol: .

rob

C

Crazy

10k of hard driving, so there is definatley something up with my tracking I think :oops:

O

Odin

The worst I ever got was with SO2's on my skyline they only lasted 6k :cry: .

rob

C

Crazy

So at $99GBP (Pound sign does not work) a tyre I hope my next set last a little longer :wink:

There must be more members on here running these tyres :?:

Nad

F1's come with 6mm of tread new, Toyos come with 8mm. 37psi is IMO too high for the front, that will be causing the tire to sit too square and run on its inside edge too much rather than deforming and running a better pressure distribution across the rest of the contact patch. F1's will feel like they have more grip in the dry because of lower tread therefore less lateral movement but I would still get Toyo's a better allround tyre IMO, including price in that as this is the real world, but that doesnt mean slacking on decent tyre, i cant understand why people skimp on tyres, they are the most important aspect of any car handling setup.

Nad

C

Crazy

Thanks for that Nad, gave me an idea to think about atleast :wink:

Too much tyre pressure and they come with 2mm less tread :)

Nad
i cant understand why people skimp on tyres, they are the most important aspect of any car handling setup.
I agree with you 100% there mate but when I was doing my research and reading a few threads on various different forums the GoodYear Eagle F1 was getting great reviews where as the Toyo R888's had not been out long enough so I went along with the F1's :p

Would it upset my handling if I tried the Toyo R888's on the front and left the F1's on the rear??? :?:

Davey

I've had 2 sets of F1's, the first set didnt last very long at all (the outside edge went), but I had my tracking done, and this new set seems to be lasting well.
No idea on the mileage, sorry, cos I never pay any attention to it :?

A couple of mates have had toyo's (on an 'R and a turbo astra), and I wasnt very impressed with how they lasted).

Nad

R888's are only good as a road tyre. They are too soft for track use and will wear too fast. Shame as I thought they were gonna be really good but i suppose it depends on what they were made to do.

Nad

MarkTurbo

Nad said:
R888's are only good as a road tyre. They are too soft for track use and will wear too fast
Shouldnt that be the other way round :wink:

Tyres like R888's will be brilliant in the dry (and track days) but in the wet (which our roads are a lot of the time :( ) they are a lot less grippy than a decent normal tyre :wink:

I saw a tyre test (timed run round a test track) the other day that was comparing a Dunlop tyre (similar tread to an R888) with an Eagle F1 and although the dunlop was a few seconds quicker in the dry it was about 10 secs a lap slower in the wet :shock:

Nad

MarkTurbo said:
Nad said:
R888's are only good as a road tyre. They are too soft for track use and will wear too fast
Shouldnt that be the other way round :wink:

Tyres like R888's will be brilliant in the dry (and track days) but in the wet (which our roads are a lot of the time :( ) they are a lot less grippy than a decent normal tyre :wink:

I saw a tyre test (timed run round a test track) the other day that was comparing a Dunlop tyre (similar tread to an R888) with an Eagle F1 and although the dunlop was a few seconds quicker in the dry it was about 10 secs a lap slower in the wet :shock:
No because they are too soft they go off after only a couple of hard laps so are useless, but this is the reason why they are actually pretty good in the wet on the road, a lot better than say the Dunlops. That Dunlop test was in Autocar IIRC and its the DJ01.

Nad