Good old cometic HG

Yep the cometic gasket strikes agian.
My dad has been driving the pulsar recently as i`m banned and said it didnt feel the same, so went a quick run in it and sure he was right.

Only done about 600 miles since it was built, and some mayo in the oil cap.
And water system pressurises instantly.
So need to give it a wee compression check way the water cap on and off to find the culprit cylinder.
And using the standard oe bolts too.

What head gaskets does everyone recommend?
I have a blueprint standard one i can use.
Or a tomie one which has done 1000k if that(re use it)

And also where from?

Davie

jjs

head gasket

i have used the bluprint one on my autocross car running 300 bhp, and has ran fine all seson, think it was only 20 odd pounds good value for money,

P

pulsarboby

yep i agree there, if your running around 300bhp with a bar boost or there abouts then they will do the job fine! i use them on standard engines we sell and never had a problem as of yet.
there £95 for complete headset as you say.
if anything they seem to compress better than a steel h/g so if your not having the head skimmed you would be better to go for one of those, payen also do a good copy

Eventually got ma finger out the day to start stripping my engine.
One of the water hoses is gone aswell at the back so more fun and games.

Carried out a compression check first and 1,3,4 had 140 psi and No. 2 was 130
Done it again with the radiator cap off and No 2 dropped to 120, so head gasket is deffo gubbed - but will get head pressure tested while its off, just to be safe.

So not dropping the engine as not got the space the now to allow me to drop the engine, so having to do it in situ.
And that inlet manifold is a killer to get off, was at it for 3 hours the day trying to get the hoses off the inlet and gave in!!!
So now am thinking just cut the pipes and renew them when re fitting.
ANd do away with the heater circuit in the manifold also so its easier to do in future.

People that have done away with the heater circuit in the manifold,did you just block the pipes or loop them back on each other?

rx jamie

i just replaced all the stock pipes behind there with silicon ones, and as i only use mine on the track, i have removed all my heaters etc so i totally removed the heater matrix piping by putting a loop in,at the back of the engine.

vss irvine

i dont think itll matter if you block them davie, its not a great flow through the inlet anyway. think its just to heat up the cold start etc

Thats the car all sorted again.
Water pipes all sorted at the back, ordered a set of rear water hoses from samco so should have them end of january to mid february.
Problem was the big main water hose had split and emtied the contents of water everywhere.
So refited a standard one for now, but i wrapped it in water hose repair tape to give it a bit more riggidness to it and a bit more protection.
So hopefully this will last a while, but will have ma new pipes sitting waiting in case it happens.
Also done away with the heater circuit in the inlet manifold, and the inlet manifold lifts on and off complety now, without having to remove any hoses off the back off the inlet, hopefully not for a while.
Also fitted a new thermal intake gasket too while it was all off and changed all the gaskets on the complete inlet setup.
All this has benefited my vacuum pressure aswell, boost gauge now sits at a healthy 20 inmg compared to 10 before.
Fitted my Catch tank also, as inlet track has oil residue in it, but when i took the boost pipe off the positive side of the turbo, it was covered in oil, so it looks like either ma engine was breathing heavily or my turbo is on its way out, but not be long in finding out if its the turbo, as the dump valve will be coated in oil soon enough.