Gearbox woes

HenryG40

A gearbox issues thread, after searching it seems like I am certainly not the first to have issues with it.

My input shaft bearing was worn, and whilst driving to college I ran into a spot of bother. Came onto boost in 3rd gear and suddenly something gave way, I'm guessing the input shaft bearing.

Left me at the side of the road as shown in the photo below. Had a look under the car and took the next three photos. The first photo shows hole in the Bell housing (i think?) and the second and third photos may have nothing to do with the gearbox death, but due to being a new owner can anyone confirm that the driveshaft and output flange look ok?

I'm not going to start taking it apart until I can get myself a replacement gearbox sorted. But I'm just wondering if anyone has had a gearbox let go like this? and was there any damage to the clutch/crank/flywheel? The gears seem to select ok so I'm hoping that it might be possible to use the gearset in another gearbox casing maybe.

Thanks

P

pulsarboby

ive got a spare endcase if you need it.
your clutch and f/wheel should be fine!

HenryG40

So what sort of damage am I looking at internally if the input shaft has gone? I'm assuming you're thinking that the actual gears are going to be ok, and that I can just fit a new endcase?

Also how much would you be after for the endcase?

Cheers mate

whytie

This happened to my last R, gears and that were fine. Its proberly just easier to swap gearbox, Straight out and in jobbie.

eastwood

You cant really just swap the end case with out re-shiming the box/casings which is a box out job anyway.

HenryG40

Ah yeah, I figured that it's going to be a box out job whatever the damage may be. Just trying to find out as much as I can in case I can get away with buying as fewer parts as possible. Cheers

P

pulsarboby

as eastwood has said, you should check shim clearance if changing endcase, however i know a few people that have just swapped them and had no probs!
we have full gearboxes in stock, but this would have been a cheaper option for you if your gearset and everything else had still been in good order.

darkyGTI-R

How would this of happened would it be i'm guessing a road pot hole or those poxy road ramps that damaged it?