gearbox removal

Digitalfaze

Im having a serious problem, i am trying to remove the gearbox in my gti-r, we have followed the tutorial on this site but have not removed the drivers side driveshaft, we have every bolt out including the 2 bastard bolts but when we try to prise the gearbox from the block it just wont budge.

We have tried everything to get the box away from the block but it just is not moving at all, it feels like all the bolts are still bolted in as there is no sign of movement.

Can anyone offer any advice, im ready to throw in the towel on this and only have 5 hours left on the car so have to make decision wether to try and get the box off or put it all back together.

Thanks in advance

tutorial we are following:

http://www.nissangtir.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=29352

Digitalfaze

could this be why its not coming loose? we thought this didnt need to come out for the box the slide off or even show a bit of movement, also tried to remove the drivers side drive shaft, unscrewed the big bolt then tried to hammer it to free it off but again there was no play at all (hub was still connected the the suspension etc)

Last edited:

bevis

driver side driveshaft would need to be removed, rear propeller shaft would also need to be removed if u haven't done so..
look for/remove anything that looks like it keeping the gearbox/transferbox attached/bolted to the engine and/or engine bay including mounts...

STU666V

The box wont slide enough to clear the shaft. Have you removed the bolt beside the speed sensor? sounds like there is still a bolt in some where? what about the top mounting plate? is that removed or bolts removed?

STU666V

It will not clear the shaft from the transfer box with out tilting the engine or removing the tranny.

Digitalfaze

yeah we dropped it with the transfer box still attached then refitted it still attached also, what a pain in the arse of a job that is!

bevis

Yea, thats the way I normally do mines...I think it's more than a pain in the ass :roll:
Is ur problem solved tho?

Digitalfaze

yeah my clutch was knackered, it looked fine but was making a funny noise so replaced it and got everything back together, started it and the wire for the temp sensor got caught on something and ripped it out the socket and dumped 3 ltrs of oil :( so temp fixed it but not going to use it till i get a replacement