Gearbox removal with transfer case

Trip

I got out engine (for the millionth time) to replace gearbox. I always removed the transfer case first including oil housing and transfer case brackets.

Is it possible to leave oil housing, brackets and transfer case in place and replace just the gearbox ?

Smo

Yeah no worries Trip - I have a ton of photos of the process if it will be any help, I can upload them after work tonight if you want. I did the same thing on my car. There might be some in my build thread (check the Member's R section).

Trip

Thanks Smo.

I checked your thread but its not what i am after. My engine, gearbox and transfer are all out of the car. I wanted to know if its possible to detach the gearbox from engine without removing the transfer case and the brackets holding the transfer case to the engine.

For safety and not to break anything, i will do it the normal way.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
It depends if you've taken them off when it's been out before. - Last time mine was out we ditched the over-engineering, so that makes it easier next time it needs to come out.

gtirjoey

It depends if you've taken them off when it's been out before. - Last time mine was out we ditched the over-engineering, so that makes it easier next time it needs to come out.
yep leaving a couple bits off turns it from a 4hour job to 40 min job.