Gearbox quirks

S

Stoned

On my R the gearbox sounds fine and everything, but changing gears can sometimes be fraught with danger

The gearbox is very sloppy when going from one gear to another and it's easy to miss a gear or crunch them when selecting at anything but a snails pace.

Plus whenever I change gear to 5th over about 60mph it grinds a little no matter how carefully I change

Is it likely to be expensive sorting this out?

Sounds like the syncromeshes might be going or something?

Chris

ian c

box of trouble

first thing to do is check if it actually has the right amount of oil in it and its not black!

wishful thinking i'd say because it sounds fairly fatal from your description....Only advise that i can give is as follows:

If you don't need the car on a daily basis, whip th engine and box out, take the box to a rebuilder - get him to open up and diagnose the trouble(s) - then price up the parts........best way to do this is print off the relevent pages from the good old S&E parts catalogue, take them to the gearbox man, get him to highlight parts you need - then go to nissan and ask how much!
If the box is completely goosed the gearbox chap will only charge you a disassembly fee of £50 ish..

If you do need the car, i'd source a good used box, swap them over during a weekend, then make the decision whether to get yours rebuilt to sell on / swap back etc!

there really isn't a lot more you can do in this situation.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Before you pull the box out, I'd get under the car and see if there's much free play in the gear linkage. It could be an internal problem, but it could be the lever/linkage. (New bushes :wink: )
Maybe even the clutch, how's your clutch fluid level?

S

Stoned

Clutch level is fine

The gear lever moves about a bit when you rest your hand on it when driving. Could that be a sympton of the linkage?

Makes no noise or anything and works fine when changing slowly so I doubt it's as terminal as Ian reckons it is

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
What was your oil level like? Is it every gear or just some?

Linkage may not be the best word for me to have used :oops: Cos there's a gear lever control rod and a stabiliser rod, it's the bushes in these assemblys that can get abit slack with age.
Abit of movement is normal, but alot is signs of worn components.

S

Stoned

All of the gears have given me problems when trying to engage them. Usually from stationary. The 5th always grids a bit when engaging at higher speeds

Oil should be fine as Abbey replaced it 2000 miles back. The gearbox on this car seems to be it's only weak link (well, apart from the brakes!)