Gearbox oil

S

si.c R

I have just ordered myself some Redline MT90 oil to do a gearbox oil change. I know others have posted similar questions but i just wondered where exactly you drain the oil from. Is it the same as doing an engine oil change :?:
I assume there is a plug somewhere that you drain the oil from and then refill the oil on top of the gearbox :?: :?: If anyone has a picture i would be really grateful. Also do you just fill it up until the box is completely full or is there a certain point you should fill it up to.

Cheers for any help. :)

J

jasegould

Drain it from the bottom, fill it from the side. With the car on a level surface you fill the box so the oil is level with the filler hole.

S

si.c R

Is it easy to see where you have to fill it up :?: Also am i right in thinking you can just fill it up using a long funnel :?: I'm sorry to keep asking these probably obvious questions but with something like the gearbox i would prefer to get it right. I am hoping that the MT90 will safeguard the box as i do like to drive the car as it was made to be driven :D

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
It is easier to fill it through a long funnel from the top, than try and get the top up bottle into the filler point. The funnel goes in from the top, abit to the left of the battery.

andygtir

you can use a tube and funnel.

dont forget to make sure the filler plug comes out before you drain the old oil out! :wink:

the mt90 is quality stuff, makes the gear selection really smooth and sorted out a slight crunch into 5th at high revs.

A

AZ STE

Ive got MT90 in mine although expensive you have made a good choice. With regard to filling looking in at your engine the filler plug is obscured by an engine mount at the front high up on the gearbox .I got a 10mm tube pushed a funnel into it and bent the tube into the top hole, the correct amount is when the oil begins to leak back out of this hole but if you initially drop 4 litres in then take the last bit slowly you shouldnt have it running down the gearbox housing to much. Before draining the old out warm the engine as it tends to remove the thicker gearbox oil better. :wink:

S

si.c R

Is it easy to remove the filler plug :?: Is it screwed in or is it like a rubber bung or something. Also to drain the oil out do you undo a bolt like when draining the sump for the engine oil :?:

I might be getting really confused but i have heard transfer box mentioned as well do you have to drain and refill the transfer box separately :?:

I'm sure these are really stupid questions but i have only ever changed the engine oil before.

G

GTI-R Kid

pulsark2002 said:
I'm sure these are really stupid questions but i have only ever changed the engine oil before.
No such thing as a stupid question - only stupid answers. :wink:

With regards the drain plug - some have found it difficult and even impossible to remove it, having to resort to the use of a syringe to drain the box. :oops: A very slow process but it gets the job done. :?

A

AZ STE

The drain and top up plugs have square recesses which are the same size as ratchet/ extension pieces without the socket on cant remember which is 1/2" which is 3/8" but this is how you undo them.The other unit to change the oil in is in between your rear wheels at the back takes a litre or so. :wink: