gearbox oil

E

Evil_GtiR

Any ideas how to check oil levels in gearbox and how to drain the oil out and where to top up ?

J

Jon

yes, check out my posted question on the same topic below this one mate. gearbox & transmition oil replacement,,
gaz-r's description is well handy, as is everbodys for that matter [;)]
Jon

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Make sure you're on level ground, jack the car up. Filler (can't remember if it's a 3/8th or 1/2 inch drive hole) is on the front of the gearbow and is awkward to get the top up bottle to. Get a funnel with a long spout and go in by the left hand side of the battery. To check oil level remove it and top it up until oil starts to flow out. If you're doing a change, the drain plug is underneath, and it takes about 4.3lts. Make sure you can undo the filler before you drain the oil.

E

Evil_GtiR

Thanks for the help. How about changing clutch fluid? Where do I drain the clutch fluid? I think it's somewhere in the front near the battery?

J

Jon T

I can't find any recommendations for gearbox fluid and I think that other thread was lost in the forum change..

I think this needs doing as my box grinds into second if I'm mean to it (I've done it only twice though.)

Can I put engine flush in the gearbox?, I guess it'd need an hours driving or so.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I use castrol driveline syntrax (or is it syntrax driveline?) for the transmission

A

AZ STE

I agree with Andy get Redline MT90 cost about £65 to buy but it will safeguard your gearbox

J

Jon T

Cheers guys, one more thing.. Can I flush the gearbox with engine flush or something?

A

AZ STE

I wouldnt bother just do it when your oils warm and settled. :wink:

P

purplemonster

i am in the process of trying a few different oils in work ,where i work ,and the oil nissan says to use is very poor ,and my gears feel knotchy and they didnt before i changed it,

i have now got auto transmission fliud in there and they feel great ,but not sure about the long term use ? weather it may damage anything ,i wouldnt of thought so ?

ill be changing it in a few weeks to see what else works in there ,

ROBERT

J

Jon T

Changed mine for MT90 a couple of weeks ago, falls in and out of gear, wasn't amused to find a selector spring and ball bearing in the contents of my bucket after draining though (Yes, it was empty before) :)

I get an odd whirring now though.