gearbox issue?

jonbhoy

hi lads, just changed the clutch,it was goosed anyway,before i changed it i wasnt gettin 1st gear and when reversing the car was juddering all over the shop, got it all back together yesterday, still not letting me get 1st gear,all the rest are fine, any ideas,
i have checked master cylinder and its fine,no leaks,slave is working fine,no leaks,no leaks under the pedals anywhere.:noidea:

P

pulsarboby

does it go into first with the engine switched off?
if so put it into first then crank the engine over with your foot depressed on clutch, if the car tries to creep forward whilst your foot is on the clutch then that means the driveplate isnt disengaging from the flywheel.....hense a clutch related problem!

if the car starts without creeping forward and as you lift your foot off the clutch pedal she snatches and grabs then its almost certainly a gearbox issue you have

jonbhoy

does it go into first with the engine switched off?
if so put it into first then crank the engine over with your foot depressed on clutch, if the car tries to creep forward whilst your foot is on the clutch then that means the driveplate isnt disengaging from the flywheel.....hense a clutch related problem!

if the car starts without creeping forward and as you lift your foot off the clutch pedal she snatches and grabs then its almost certainly a gearbox issue you have
it feels as if its in 1st geart,but when i lift foot off clutch it crunches, all other gears fine, just adjusted clutch pedal and it still the same. goin to leav it just now as i am so close to a gallon of petrol and a match. gettin pist rite off now.

P

pulsarboby

yep its stripped 1st then
you should have pulled off rear tailcasing whilst box was on the deck to have a looky see

jonbhoy

2nd hand box then, dont have knowhow or tools for that kinda job, cheer for info anyway lads, least i know whats nxt on my list.

littlewimp

hi guys, i'm in the process of putting my r back together and not knowing what the box is like as it was out of the car when i bought it, would it be worthwhile me checking it before i go to the trouble of fitting it, and what do i look for apart from the obvious. cheers .

johnny gtir

Red reading is the one he knows alot about these cars and is s**t hot on the gear boxes are you confident on working on gear boxes ?

littlewimp

yeah ive done a few in the past but never looked inside an R box, perhaps i will pm red reading for some advice on what to look for. thanks