Gearbox dilemma !

A

Anonymous

Picture this........... !

Gearbox is gone and needs sorting.

The apparent options are as follows:-

- reconditioned gearbox with second hand parts - £500 - £600

- gearbox rebuild with new parts - £1600.00 (3rd, 4th, 5th & others gone)

- brand new box from Japan - £2100'ish (4-5 week wait)

or

- uprated box such as Quaife (spelling & price unknown !)

Please advise.

Criteria is that I would like to spend as less money as possible but obviously make the car last more than 3 years with out having to go through this bo***cks again !

Tim 'gearbox victim' Doyle

kirko

i had a complete gearbox rebuild last year by one of the tuners and it is fine :lol: been running 1 bar and given it quite a bit of stick :roll:
it cost me 1200 squid all in

A

Anonymous

kieron said:
quaiffe yourself up :wink:
def the way to go :D it may cost you anywhere up to 3k but it will be great.don't believe that bollox from quaife that their gearset will only take 350lb/ft either.mine held 407lb/ft on a regular basis until the front diff surrendered :wink: :D

G

GTiRich

...... Or you could get yourself a lovely 6 speed sequential beast but it's about £11k i think lol

00sid

yeah go for the quaife set, im in the engineering trade and there gearset is really well machined.

i also know someone how might be able to build it for you for slightly cheaper than most. :wink:

A

Anonymous

00sid said:
i also know someone how might be able to build it for you for slightly cheaper than most. :wink:
when it comes to gearsets and gearboxes,think i'd rather have someone that was sihthot at what they were doing rather than someone who was a bit cheaper.

you cannot afford to cut corners with gearsets and gearboxes as screw ups are usually expensive to put right :wink:

00sid

well i should know what im doing ive been in the trade for 15 years now and my quaife box is doing fine.

A

Anonymous

00sid said:
well i should know what im doing ive been in the trade for 15 years now and my quaife box is doing fine.
i've been in engineering for 23 years but it doesn't mean i could build a gearset that would stand up to 400lb/ft going thru it :shock:

00sid

fair enough mate not wanting to get into a arugment about it on someone elses post, im a toolmaker and i could of made the gearset myself if i had the time. i just would like to help out some owners :) as i know they charge siily money for a job that isnt that hard.

A

Anonymous

ex-gtir said:
ask gearboxman about leave feeder tubes out :wink:
so called experts :evil:
i feel your pain :cry: ....i empathise with you :cry: .......i have every sympathy for you :cry: but you are in a minority of 1 :wink:

there are a lot of people have had their transmissions fettled by bernie and co with great success but,there will be the odd occassion when mistakes happen and the preverbial hits the fan :wink: like everybody else bernie needs to train people and they are only human :wink:

O

Odin

Yep I have to agree with the old fella on this one :shock: :wink: .

Anybody can make a mistake it's how they deal with it that is the most important thing :wink: .

rob

ex-gtir

does he have other work on the boxs if so its understandable
but feeder tubes are very important and anyone thats done a gtir will know what goes where

B

briitts

You can get a rebuilt box with new bits for well under 1k, more like £400-£600 but I would go to the gearbox man bernie near Luton to do that. He did my quaiffe box, 2k for gears and stuff, £500 for fitting and rebuild. :lol:

What ever you do do not fit a paddle clutch, it eats gearboxes. :cry: