Gear problem 1st and second only help please

Colin009uk

Hi I have started to get a problem with my 1st and second gear, it's really stiff to put in and take out but rest of gears are great and every gear still pulls excellent any help would be great can't afford garage bills ATM so car bbeen sitting in my garage since
xmas and mmiss it haha

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
How is it without the engine running? - If it seems OK (and only plays-up with the engine going), then I'd suggest looking at the clutch.

Failing that, maybe the selector fork? - I don't know enough about gearboxes, but I think 1st and 2nd are on the same shaft and use the same fork... although I'm probably wrong.

danr

mine is a pig to get into 1st sometimes. always been like that. organic clutch and short shifter (and a slightly leaky slave cylinder to fix one day lol)
i go to 2nd then 1st from still, or tap revs slightly to match syncros before going 1st.

gtir_pimp

i had the exact same issue on my quaife gearbox, im afraid the gearbox has to come out and be taken apart. i had the selectors changed i think, red reading on here did it so he will know, but it aint a cheap fix, £350 ish for him to take apart and rebuild and then a garage will charge the same to take the box out and in again!

a second hand box may be a cheaper option unless you have quaife then it aint!

pulsarmoley

When did you last change the gearbox oil? Im not sure about our cars but i know some of the tractors i work on can be a bit crap to get in to certain gears if the oil is shot.

bobby tune

i had a problem at totb last year wouldnt go in to 1st and 2ndit was a small bit of syncro under the selector arm . it goes up and down . when its down its on the bottom of g box so any bits could get stuck under there. and when its on the bottom thats where u sellect 1st and 2nd. stu666 and myself striped side case off g box at totb and found this.