gear linkage extension

Trip

I've been testing the seating position and to get my feet comfortable to the peddles, my race seat would need to be mounted low and extend the steering wheel further back. It wont be a problem since i will be using a quick release steering boss and if thats not enough I get a deep dish steering wheel. So my feet and steering wheel are sorted.

The gear llinkage is the problem since preferably I want it to sit around 100/150mm backwards in line with the steering wheel.

Anyone ever mocked with the gear linkage to change its postion ?

noriek2003

the easiest way to do it would be to make a bent gear shift lever that brings it closer to where you want to be. Other wise cut and extend the shift and stabilser bars and bring it up in a new hole ( handbrake would have to move then though i guess)

Trip

I was thinking about the second option, moving the whole thing backwards just enough not the interfear with the handbreak. WOuld the extra length of the linkages effect the operation of the shift ?

Since the linkage bars are at an angle, adding extra length will somehow change the angle of operation, which MIGHT upset operation. Or not ?

noriek2003

i'd chop them at the end where they join to the box/tf box.

Theres only one way to find out if it will work or not..lol

Trip

after seeing some pics of the location of the gear lever. You cannot just place it further back since there is the cross member in the way.

Trip

I have made some CAD drawing (not to scale) of a new idea which came to mind.

this is approx how the centre tunnel looks like incuding gear lever and hand brake.

Fabricating a bracket from 30x30mm hollow section, Weld it on the tunnel, drilling a hole and fixing a ball joint like the one used on the Transit upper balljoint . Or a spherical bearing can be used.

Fabricate a shaft (gear lever) with can fit to the balljoint on one side and a gear knob on the other

Weld 2 brackets. One on the new gear lever and one on the OE gear lever. Fabricate a linkage shaft between the two levers, holding them firm with a BOLT (not shown on the drawing).

As you can see, the bracket on the new gear lever is welded higher so it will compensate for the extra length of the new gear lever, giving you the same feel of a short shifter.

If this works, chop off the extra length of the OE gear lever.

Comments please ??

Last edited: