gear change problem

Godzilla

i just want to know if anyone has had trouble when the weather is hot selecting gears , before i get it in and am witout the car again, iv ad the pedal box done, i obviously know it might be the gear box or fork but has anyone had this problem and know for sure what causes it , like i say its fine when its cold out,

gtir_pimp

when was the gearbox oil last changed? i think alot of people will tell you to change it for a good quality oil if you dont know what oils in the box or when it was last changed

GTiR-Aholic

Not sure what oil to recommend + can't remember exactly how much it took but I fill mine until it starts pouring back out then quickly screw the plug back on. I think it was about 3 litres?

gtir_pimp

im sure most good quality oils will be fine. but you could ask oilman on his recommendations thread or call opie oils.not sure how much to add. try changing the oil and see if that cures it.

Animaldaz

Very good gear oil

If you dont know when the transmission oil was last changed you ought to replace it in the gearbox, transfer and rear diff. If you buy quality oil like the one above its not cheap as you'll need 4.5lt for the gearbox,1.5lt for the transfer and about 1lt for the rear diff. You can get discount from opie by signing up as a club member, they also regulary have extra discounts running.

Godzilla

Animaldaz- thats the stufff i think il get just hope it sorts out my hot problem as gears are fine when cold,

Animaldaz

Ive been using that oil for 4 years and find it excellent. last time i changed it it had been in the box for a few years and had probably done over 20,000miles and it came out like new, still golden in colour!
My bro also uses it in his race car, which has a quaife straight cut dog box.

Godzilla

Noticed today it's getting bad now struggle to get into first and can't switch from first to second but have to go into neutral then second ,also if I move leaver to the right but not in a gear and let go it sticks for a second or two,could it be linkage that's bad or am I lookin at new box or fork

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Where is the biting point when the clutch is at the floor?

If it’s very low then the fork might be bent? When was the last time you changed the clutch fluid?

Godzilla

I changed the clutch fluid about 3weeks ago when I swapped the master and slave for new ones and had pedal box welded up ,I just don't get why it would do it only when warm or hot weather ,surely if it was fork would be all the time

Can't get 1st atall now ,reverse grinds can get 2nd but it make a clunky noise from inside gearbox got a feeling it's a new box needed

Last edited:

Godzilla

Drove home tonight and straight into all gears bar reverse first try , could the slave cylinder pipe be effected by temp at all flexing or even linkage be effected by heat in anyway