FUNNY SOUND WHEN COMING ON BOOST (now sorted)

A

Anonymous

Well it started 2 days ago with a whistle screaming noise coming from the engine every time i came on boost or when the gague went over 0.1bar...
Then the next day it had gone, drove car this evening and it was okay then it just started again and this time its like a loud funny buzzing sound and the dump valve is sounding funny too.... Any ideas??
Sound great but i hope its not a problem....
I had the alternator changed the other day if this helps

G

gotoinstant-redline

sounds to me like a lose boost pipe. its presure escaping from somewhere... have a good going over of all teh pipes and check the joins to the turbo ic etc etc..

L.

J

J-GTi-R

Or it could be the turbo on the way out, as they can start making funny noises when they're dying. Fingers crossed for the loose boost hose then! :shock:

A

Anonymous

the car is still pulling all the way up the gague though to full boost, if the turbo is going will it just stop or would it gradullay start to loose more and more boost till it goes?

J

J-GTi-R

It'll start making the noise but still work fine to start with. Then after a while it'll either start dropping boost, or just sieze altogether.

However, I did have the same problem once when I forgot to tighten up the jubilee clips on the intercooler hoses. Made a terrible squealing noise, but once I spotted that it was fine.

A

andy n

screaming noise when it comes on boost. check your passenger :D :D

M

memski

J-GTi-R said:
Or it could be the turbo on the way out, as they can start making funny noises when they're dying. Fingers crossed for the loose boost hose then! :shock:
:lol: Yeah could be, mine still held 1.4bar and had lots of shaft play :oops: when I took it off :eek: The smoke was a bit of a give away....

A

Anonymous

had the same problem,sounded absolutely mental!may be the actuator,as mine shortley went after hearing this??????

A

Anonymous

Thanks everyone, all sorted now, it was a loose part of the intercooler pipework that comes off the turbo, 10seconds and 3 turns of a screwdriver thats all and cost£0

A

Anonymous

GoToInstant-Redline said:
sounds to me like a lose boost pipe. its presure escaping from somewhere... have a good going over of all teh pipes and check the joins to the turbo ic etc etc..

L.
spot on matey