fueling issues with my sunny gti

L

luke1980

why is my sunny using the amount of fuel as my evo i seems to be drinking loads the mpg figures should be about 34mpg it seem to do about 12mpg

i've been told there is an engine temp sensor that might be faulty causing the car to run on a rich mix as the ecu thinks the car is cold?

the symptoms that might help anyone are:

poor acceleration no kick in the back more of a boggy build up in speed
the car is stuttering at low revs
and obviously the huge amount of fuel it drinks

if anyone has any suggestions then i'll appreciate it cheers

doggydowg

Not sure if this helps i had loads of stuttering/spluttering/hesitating issues with my new r.

I looked through allot of posts and done the following.

Replace fuel filter
re gap spark plugs
change fuel pump to walbro 255
check earth on maf
check earth on fuel pump

Out of all the above the most important one was to replace fuel filter and re gap spark plugs i think i was blowing the spark out so regappd my plugs to 6.5 from 8-9 and the car pulls like a train now.

You could try not booting it everywhere to get better mpgs but doubt youl be getting 34mpg unless you drive like a bitch all the time;-)

steve963

engine temp sensor? wonder if thats whats up with mine? mine runs rich and has a high tickover. maybe its in the fault code check?

edit: gonna check my MAF earth also

Fusion Ed

Fault code read is the first thing. The most common cause is knock sensor. It wont be (or is unlikely to be) water temp sensor. They are very reliable. Also if they run more than stock boost they go rich and so cause lots of fuel to be wasted.

Fusion Ed

Ok some people will refer to their pulsar as a sunny. Since its a non turbo sunny check the lambda sensor and fault codes first.

Ed