fuel surging

P

Pulsar_James

hi guys, right i had a problem with fuel surging some time ago, so i fitted a walbro pump and a new nissan fuel filter - problem solved!!

the R has been stood for 3 weeks (started on couple of occasions), i have been out in her tonight and i have the fuel surge thing again when boosting and putting throttle down to get more revs, i only had a little bit of fuel in so i put some petrol in (97 ron)

what can i check for now??

any help aprreciated!!

james

geetee

Walbro pump, shorter pickup, less than 1/4 tank equals fuel surge - especially with heavy right foot out of roundabouts.

Cure..... modify the Walbro pick up to sit in the bottom of the tank or don't run low on fuel.

Walbros are worse than standard pumps for fuel surge.

Cheers
Graham

J

Jim_1979

Can someone explain what fuel surge is?

I was running low on fuel the other day and encoutered a few probs.

stumo

when you're low on fuel and you go round corners the pickup pipe to the pump is exposed so the pump sucks air, the fuel pressure drops and the car splutters until the fuel pressure gets back to normal.

J

Jim_1979

so could the same thing happen if you're very low on fuel (red light) and you plant the foot in first? Surely all the petrol will go to the back of the tank etc.

Could the same thing happen then?

I had this the other day when I was practically out of petrol. It was fine when I drove normally. Once I put more petrol in, it was also fine.

Same thing?

andygtir

it causes exhaust gas temps to go through the roof! not good will cause your engine to grenade itself eventually, keep the tank brimmed or look at fitting something like baffles in the tank