Fuel pump 'gurgling' sound

I was driving down the motorway yesterday and all of a sudden a sort of gurgling sound was coming from the fuel tank area. It went away when i slowed down to 60mph so i took the car back home slowly with no problems.

Today I decided to take it for a long drive to see if the noise came back and what it was. I was driving with a mixture of high speed, high boost, heavy throttle and couldnt get it to make the noise then all of a sudden it started again while i was rolling along at a junction and its now doing it pretty much all the time. The car also held back once when coming on boost but only the one time.

Im running a Walbro 255lph pump (around 3000miles/1year old) with standard injectors so hardly taxing it. And yes I do have petrol in the tank!

Is it likely to be the fuel pump is on its way out or could it be something else?

Cheers,

Dan

Braveheart

Did you fit the pump yourself?
It could be a poor electical connection to the pump if they were crimped.
Could also be a fuel tank breather problem where the breather pipe is blocked and the noise is air struggling to get into the tank to equalize the pressure.
Or your pump may be knackered.

Yes i fitted it myself - and i vowed never to go into the tank again after doing it as i was dizzy from fumes and wrecked the skin on both hands!

The connections are crimped, but i know they are of a good quality as wiring is part of my everyday job. Whereabouts is the breather pipe? I whipped off the cover in the boot and had a quick look but there was nothing obviously wrong there..

I guess if the breather pipe looks ok then im going back into the tank :doh:

Braveheart

You can see the fuel tank breather pipe in the picture below.
It's the first pipe you will see when you take the fuel tank access cover off.

bopper

also there is a whole breather system on top of the tank that you can only get to by dropping the tank

Still not solved this problem..

I have replaced the fuel filter and fuel pump and I still get the noise (gurgling from the fuel tank, like the fuel pump is sucking on air). I have noticed it only comes after around 30-40mins of driving and only really during speeds of 50+mph.

Is there a way of testing out the breather pipe system without dropping the fuel tank?

When i changed the fuel pump and i removed the breather pipe it made the usual 'woosh' noise that the petrol cap makes when its removed so im not sure its a breather problem??

gtirjoey

just take the filler cap seal out as this will allow the tank to breath if it solves the problem put seal back on and unblock your breathers