fuel problems

O

owens

just wondering if anyone has had the same problems with fuel leaking from the fuel cap, ive had a search but cant seem to find any posts.
it seems everytime i fill the car up i seem to loose quite a bit of fuel from the fuel cap, especially when going round corners and roundabouts, ive checked the cap is tight, but as the cap has a non overtightening mechanism inside it it will only tighten to a set torque, ive thought about putting a second o-ring in but it still will only tighten as tight as the torque setting on the cap.

any help would be great :thumbsup:

Fusion Ed

my thoughts: are the filler pipes rusted? do you both have the carbon canister in the front bonnet removed?

O

owens

i will try and have a look at the canister, ive just applied vasaline to the seal of the cap to see if that helps. By the looks of it though it must be comming from the small hole just under the filler cap as ive lost quite a lot of fuel just on the 6mile journey home, i will see if i have time tomorrow after work and see if i can source the problem.

O

owens

well ive had a look today at work and stuck it up on the ramp, no fuel leaks from the rest of the pipes (but ive got a CV gaitor gone) so ive stuck a second seal on it to see how it does

O

odie

Mine did that and got to the point where it was gushing out from around the cap. Bought a new one. Problem solved.

O

owens

well it seems to have stopped leaking for now but i only have 1/2 a tank of fuel at the moment, i guess i will only know for sure when i fill her up again.

Dooie Pop Pop

owens said:
well it seems to have stopped leaking for now but i only have 1/2 a tank of fuel at the moment, i guess i will only know for sure when i fill her up again.
i think id rather buy a new cap than risk having fuel wafting around the rear of the car........

O

odie

Yeah mate, I agree... The cost of a new fuel cap - I paid $10 for mine - is far better than the risks that you are running with petrol splashing about everywhere.