Fuel Consumption

S

Sunnyboy368

Hello ALL

So far this owners group has been most helpfull to me and hence i wish to ask a question regardign fuel consumption which is NOT related to my GTIR but to my other car ..NISSAN SUNNY GTI 1993. Any thoughts would be, as usual, most appreciated.

As well as my GTIR i also own a Nissan Sunny GTI 1993 which is practiclly the same save for the turbo, intercooler and 4wheel drive.

I understand from the GTI specs that the mpg is anywhere between 25-43mpg. Indeed my driving agreed with this until recently when i noticed that the needle of my fuel guage seemed to drop awefully fast. Perfomance of the car is still as it should be.

I recorded my miles achieved in one tank and i worked out that on one tank, which is about 40litre = 9gallons, i can only get out of her about 140miles!!!!! this works out to about 14mpg !!!!! well below the specs .

Has anyone experienced this before on their car? What was the casue and remedy?

regards

GTI DRIVER368 - now you know why i call my self GTI -Driver :p

Fazz

If it was only a minor decrease then obvious changes being it needs service etc, new Oil, filter and plugs can do wonders for fuel consumption.

When was last service?

May be worht taking out plugs to see how dirty/worn they are...

As a side note, My GTI-R with approx 300bhp gets between 17-24mpg... depending on just serviced/how much boost.
That's average driving with some boosting at high speeds and some around town mixed in...

So to hear 24mpg from a GTI is pretty poor indeed!

S

Sunnyboy368

Dave ,

Leaky Yes I Did But Can Be Sure Cause You Know Petrol Evaporate Quick. Is There Any Way Of Doing Some Kinda Die Test?

D

Dave1971

Sunnyboy368 said:
Dave ,

Leaky Yes I Did But Can Be Sure Cause You Know Petrol Evaporate Quick. Is There Any Way Of Doing Some Kinda Die Test?

Try putting paper under you car at different areas to see if there are any drops.

S

Sunnyboy368

Great Idea!!! will do yhis week end and let you know the outcome :)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Check your O2 sensor as they can make the consumption rise dramatically, other things are coolant sensor, if the ecu thinks your engine is always cold it'll always be dumping in more fuel than needed. If you have a AFM you may suffer the same probs as the Gtir, do check that too. Other things to look at are a blocked air filter, holed exhaust and injector problems (assuming you're efi'd)