From where are these noise?

Thor

Hello!

we have a very loud noise at an engine. When it run at idle the knock went above 40 level and if i give them more rev ~ 4000 rpm the knock level is at 100!

Oil preassure is ok and the valve clearance was checked too!

If anybody can give me an advise i would happy!

[video]http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/tt328/thor77_2009/?action=view&current=VID_20120608_150607.mp4[/video]

regards
sascha

fast eddy

You should be able to find where the noise is with automotive stethoscope or if you don't have one a long screwdriver with your ear to it

wrc

Exactly as above, sounds like blocked spray bars. They are easy to remove and clean.

Possibly needs shimming??

Thor

hi!

the spray bars we had cleaned and refit.

The valve clearance is ok too!

As i heard with a stethoscope the loudest place was at the throttle (inlet side).

MarkTurbo

I would have said valve clearances to start with. What about injectors, some are quite noisy?

Not sure if they would be noisy enough to be picked up on a knock meter though.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Shims need re-doing

I had this ages ago, checked all of the above and ended having the shims re-done just after my rebuild. Sound went away!

skiddusmarkus

My injectors are very loud, almost sounds tappety.You haven't dropped a nut down the back of the engine have you and it's rattling away?

Thor

I had checked the clearance is 0.15 ex and 0.20 in. So maybe the metal from where are the shims was made is wrong? A friend of me had made these shims via CNC but if the steel grade are similar than the OEM shims i don´t know.

The Denso 1000cc injectors are ever very loud!

P

pulsarboby

i tend to agree with danny and say little ends or possibly piston slap
did you use j.e pistons?