Found this loose near my pulleys

Gray

For the past couple of days I have been hearing this god awful rattling noise which sounded like it was comeing from the drivers footwell.

I was looking round my engine bay sorting out my washer pipes and noticed a big bolt with a block of metal which seemed loose and out of place resting on one of the pulleys and belts.

It was from the bracket near the pulley shown below

Any body know what its for and if it is needed? Ive taken it out and the rattling has now stopped - luckily no damage to the pulley or the belt.

How did it become loose also?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
It's the belt tensioner. Either alternator or power steering. I can't tell form the pix :oops:

You'll probably find the belts haven't slackened as the alternator and p/s pump will be tight on their mountings, so can't rotate to throw the belt.

Gray

So can I leave it of or do I have to put it back on and if I do what does it attach to?

J

justin666

Looks like the power steering tensioner to me :?

It runs through a bracket which is attached to the water pump and then on to another bracket on the power steering pump if i remember correctly.... Anyhow.. You will need another bolt to go through that block bit on the tensioner bolt which attaches to the power steering pump. Its a fidley little number to get back in :D :D

J.

Gray

Not sure where that is now lol
How do these things come undone?

What are the effects of leaving this bolt off? Any possible problems?

paz

Gray said:

It could throw the belt if it becomes loose - the tensioner is there to keep it as tight as it needs to be.

I'd want it back on, but thats just me - it might be fine to leave off.

Paz

J

justin666

Gray said:

The little bolt that runs through the little block thingy and on to the pump has either come loose or snapped thus allowing the tensioner bolt to fall out :shock:

I personally wouldnt run without it as it serves quite an important purpose.! You will prob find that the power steering pump itself will still be very tight and held in place at the pivot point but without that bolt it could well start to move around and throw the belt. Thats gonna leave you without power steerin or a water pump!! Not worth the risk in my eyes :D

Gray

I'll see about gettin it sorted when I get my emanage and injectors fitted
Hiteq cant do it now so gonna have to go an see if DP can do it.

J

justin666

Gray said:
I'll see about gettin it sorted when I get my emanage and injectors fitted
Hiteq cant do it now so gonna have to go an see if DP can do it.
Any garage should be able to reattach it for you mate :) 5 minute job. Altho, looking at the pics again, your tensioner bolt does look a little bent so you may need a new one :?

J.

Mr GTiR

Gray, if you can wait till Monday i'll fit it for you at Mascrat meet.

Just text me to remind me to bring some tools LOL :lol:

antgtir

What about going to RC for the emanage?

Im with everyone on this, you defo need the bolt fitted as it could cause no end of problems in the future.

Ant.

Gray

RC are like 72 quid an hour and the emanage isnt exactly plug and play it all needs wiring in.