Fitting a Nology ign coil, some advice needed..

warpspeed

I have a Nology Profire PFC-M50 3 ohm ign coil.

I'd like to be able to fit this to my gtir to allow me to run surface discharge plugs however I start going round in circles when it gets to ohm etc...

Can this coil be used?
What power transistor would I need to supply the correct ohms to the coil?

I have this coil sitting here which is why I want to try it, I'm on a budget so not going to start spending cash on this, it's for my road car and basically I'm trying to improve the mpg for starters and hopefully have a good ignition system for when I start testing the lpg.

Thanks for any help :)

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I can't answer, but I'm interested to hear what people have to say. - I've toyed with the idea of putting in a stronger coil and running a larger gap in the past, but when I looked into it I was told it wasn't worth it with a reasonably standard car since the standard coil is pretty good already.

warpspeed

If I was sticking with petrol I probably wouldn't bother but since I know I'll be running lpg soon I think it'll need to be the best I can get it without spending loads of cash.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

warpspeed

I don't like to bother him since he's so busy and it's just advice I'm after..

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Doesn't Jim run an after-market ignition system? I think it's an MSD box or something like that, but he may only be able to drive it because he's got a PFC.

warpspeed

I messaged them 2 days ago....

I saw that but I'm not an expert so wanted to make sure before I started frying the wiring..

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Sorry, been away and still catching up with myself.

I'd need to check my notes to give you a more technical answer but replacing the transformer isn't going to make a big difference, no fried wires etc.

When you use a bigger coil it should theoretically lengthen the duration but unless you use a bigger amp you'll get a weaker spark. Through experimentation I found the difference between my aftermarket coil and a new OEM coil was minimal. Changing the plug gap had a more significant affect to low rev smoothness or high boost/rpm blow out.

Sticking the aftermarket igntion amp made a huge difference and allowed me to run ludicrous 1.4mm plug gaps that eventually destroyed an Iridium plug!

P.S. Don't do that, 0.9mm is great, 1.1mm is maximum that was even noticeable, beyond that was just for my own experimentation. 0.9mm might still give you blow out so just run what you can to avoid blow out. On LPG this might be 0.6mm, if you're dropping to 0.5mm then ideally you need a bigger amp.

Last edited:

warpspeed

I'm thinking about using a nology ignition booster.
My issue is that the coil is 3ohm and from what I can gather the standard is 1ohm, would this cause any issues?
I've not measured the gap on the surface discharge plugs I want to use yet but it looks to be about 1mm.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I was just working on something else and hadn't realised you'd answered.

You may not have seen my PS comment.

1mm is no big issue and arguable very sensible. Running LPG might increase the load on the system with the additional fuel but I've got no practical experience to comment.

With 1mm gaps an amp seems a good place to start. From my own experience on the MSD stuff you'll have a lot of extra leeway so I'll be surprised if it's an issue.

There will be no issue with the wiring or original power amp as all the high power stuff is after your aftermarket amp. I personally run new OEM leads as the resistance was slightly higher than the aftermarket leads I owned which improved duration. As I had no issue with blow out I didn't need to worry about low resistance leads. Again, plugs and leads are just fine tuning around the coarse tuning of your plug gaps.

A 3 ohm coil might sound a lot compared to a 1ohm coil but the resistance of the plug gap is measured in millions of ohms at the point just before ignition so it has a marginal effect on firing.

warpspeed

So do you think the original ignition transistor, nology booster, nolocgy coil, nology leads and c53vc plugs would work?

I didn't just want to go buying the booster without knowing if it would work.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I'm not sure which the nology ignition booster is? There are no specs on their website though they look like an OEM+ solution and our OEM solution isn't bad when correctly working.

I use a Mallory hyfire CDI amp similar to this:
http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/maa-6853m/overview/?retaillocation=int

Mallory are now owned by MSD. Just get any powerful CDI amp, the difference in cost won't be much and the spark plug doesn't care how it's getting the energy as long as it's available.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
1.3mm is big but I've run more than that on my car. IIRC, the copper plugs went to 1.3mm but at 1.4mm I got the occasional blow out at 1.9bar. The iridiums went to 1.4mm but one failed as the tip eroded away. The ignition system was still firing!

Post a link to the Nology amp in case we're looking at different items. If it's the same then I'd get a better item. I wouldn't worry about aftermarket leads if you've got new/recent oem leads installed.

If you're running LPG at 3bar then we might need a rethink.

warpspeed

This is the ebay link.

It says it's for the 3ohm nology coil.

Would my original transistor be ok before this or would you suggest anything better?