Finding a solution to breaking gearcases on high power Rs

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
RishiGTiR said:
Fast Guy said:
How abit getting Quaiffe to look at making a thickwall casing :?:

Because of the costs involved i doubt they would bother, but i will call them tomorrow just to see what they say...

Rishi

You'll never guess what!... :shock:

I called Quaife just to see what they would say and they... Explained the situation and they say that they could make us a stronger casing... :shock:

Guy i spoke to seemed keen enough... Said that its something they can do for us... At the end of the conversation he asked me to email all the details to him and he'd look at what they could do for us...

Said he'll get back to me shortly with the details... Idealy looking for costs and timescale...

If it does involve a minimum order then i can see a few quite a few people being interested... Not to mention tuners for their own stock maybe...?

Will keep you all posted on this one... Just hope the cost is reasonable...

Rishi

ChrisS

I called Quaife just to see what they would say and they... Explained the situation and they say that they could make us a stronger casing...
Are they on about making a complete casing or just strenghening the existing one?

Rishi

ChrisS said:
I called Quaife just to see what they would say and they... Explained the situation and they say that they could make us a stronger casing...
Are they on about making a complete casing or just strenghening the existing one?

New Casing... :D

Rishi

K

KRS

:D

If you dont ask, you dont get.

Well done Rishi

Just hope its a decent price.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
RishiGTiR said:

I called Quaife just to see what they would say and they... Explained the situation and they say that they could make us a stronger casing... :shock:

Rishi
So they bloody should, it's their gearset that's breaking our casings. lol :lol:

celicaGT4st205

Fire & skill said:
what about the st185 box? this will prob be a closer match
Im not sure. Will find out for you. But if they really were as strong then surely Fensport would use them. I think the ST185 CS and RC editions have a closer ratio to the normal ST185 though. There is also a special lightweight ST185 with a different gearbox to the others.

C

carpy100

personally i'd rather develop the nissan box rather than bastardising donor parts from other cars :roll:

Keira

RishiGTiR said:

Rishi
the other day al was on about some chap on the mlr that made up some diff casings or something, he has full access to cnc machining gear, could be another option :wink:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Was that the thread where about 4 or 5 of them pitched in with different skills to make it up? I was reading that about a year ago, but never followed it up :?

Fire & skill

Vintage member
carpy100 said:
personally i'd rather develop the nissan box rather than bastardising donor parts from other cars :roll:
you cant make a silk purse out of a sows ear - i just feel its time to try something new, we ALL suffer from the same problem. but i agree with you that if a solution to the problematic casing can be found then thats got to be route 1

Fire & skill

Vintage member
celicaGT4st205 said:
Fire & skill said:
celicaGT4st205 said:
There is also a special lightweight ST185 with a different gearbox to the others.
thats the one i used to have 8) very early JDM, ultra rare too :wink:
Yeah, I only know of 2 or 3 in the GT4OC. Closer ratio also
yeah, proper group N box, the interior was p!sh but in theory it was meant to be binned. wind up windows and no AC etc.

celicaGT4st205

Thats the badger. Its a GT4A I believe. No electrics or anything. Also has short shift and like I say, close ratio box.

Still, like all ST185's, embarrassingly slow compared to the ST205. lol

Fire & skill

Vintage member
celicaGT4st205 said:
Thats the badger. Its a GT4A I believe. No electrics or anything. Also has short shift and like I say, close ratio box.

Still, like all ST185's, embarrassingly slow compared to the ST205. lol
E152F boxquite torqy though :lol: but yes - no match for an R either, but same engine as the MR2 tubby, quite a bit involved to get more power out of them with the 'fuel cut defender' :lol:

Keira

Fast Guy said:
Was that the thread where about 4 or 5 of them pitched in with different skills to make it up? I was reading that about a year ago, but never followed it up :?
dont know mate, i only ever frequent that godawful place when al or mike send me links :wink: :lol:

was talking about it on the phone

Rishi

Well got a reply from Quaife...

It would just be the end casing that would be developed...

Initial Patern Cost - £5000 - £6000

Then cost of casings would be £1500 based on 5 orders...

Not sure many people would want to invest in this...

Quaife did tell me that they once helped a customer develop a steel plate to fit the end off the box about 2 years ago so they are fully aware of this issue...

Me personally am going to see what Ian @ Hiteq manages to work up...

Rishi