Fast guys latest coolant leak thread. D'oh!!

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I've sprung a water leak on the back of my engine and I'm asuming it's one of these.

I had a look yesterday, but couldn't realy see where it was coming from, apart from above the oil cooler somewhere. So I thought I'd ask those of you that have had this problem, which hose was it that went on you?

I'm just gonna order them all and see what I can manage to change as it looks like another fun job:frusty:

daz

i had one of the water cooling pipes go at the back of the engine that goes to the standard oil cooler. there are two pipes on it one at the front goes in like a 90 deg bend and then there is another one behind that, it was the back one that went on mine. right fooker of a job to do even on a ramp

chadboy

ive got the same problem.. ive changed all the pipes on the back and ive still got a leak sumwhere, there are 2 small pipes by the oil cooler pipes at the bottom and and 2 big pipes running across just below the head. ive changed all ov them but didnt change the clip, i took the inletmanfoild off to change them. there are 2 pipes on the inlet aswell plus 1 small pipe going down from the inlet to the back ov the block sumwhere(i forgot)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I think mine might be one of the intercooler pipes. I can see water running down one, but can't see enough to see if it is actually that pipe that's leaking.

daz

intercooler ????????? that dont have any water pipes from or too it ?????? im confused now ???? do you mean the oil cooler if it is the back oil cooler pipe the water should drop between the transfer box and the engine or something like that if you can see

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Yep, never noticed the typo:doh: . It's the oil cooler:oops: . That water is dropping down from above it somewhere and making it's way on to the exhaust.

daz

90 % it will be the rear coolant pipe to the cooler
easy to get to just but the spring clips are a fooker

O

Olly

One of my R's had a leak at the oil cooler hose it was the one that hardest to get too, i use a special tool i made to hold the clips open to make refitting the pipes easier.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I found a little cut in the same hose on mine, so I'm hoping that's sorted it.
The biggest pain was getting the old pipe off and then getting the newclips back in place. My special tool was a pair of pliers to hold the clips fully open, but they still seem to struggle to go over the pipe.

I found it abit easier disconnecting the track rod on that side and removing the oil filter.

creedy

i had a water leak on the back of the engine awile back.. it was the bigger one of the two, was a spring inside the pipe. i took the inlet manifold of the engine to get at it.

ChrisS

Fast Guy said:
I found a little cut in the same hose on mine, so I'm hoping that's sorted it.
The biggest pain was getting the old pipe off and then getting the newclips back in place. My special tool was a pair of pliers to hold the clips fully open, but they still seem to struggle to go over the pipe.

I found it abit easier disconnecting the track rod on that side and removing the oil filter.
Id decided once id done mine it would have been a lot quicker to have just dropped the engine

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
ChrisS said:
Id decided once id done mine it would have been a lot quicker to have just dropped the engine
I totally agree. After doing my rebuild and replacing all the pipes on he rear of the block, putting the new engine in, doing all the lube's and coolants, starting the engine and discovering that the only 2 pipe clips I hadn't done up were the 2 water pipes going to the OEM oil cooler. It took me most of the afternoon just to do up one clip :evil:

So, I have decided that for anything more than doing a oil change, topping up the windscreen water washer bottle or cleaning the headlights it's just easier to drop the fooking engine :evil: :evil:

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
If you've got a FMIC, just taking the inlet manifold off provides good access to the back of the engine. Some padding on the rocker cover and you can sit on it and work away. I did this when I fitted my oil cooler. Another easy job, not!

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
ChrisS said:
You're kidding:shock: It took me about 2 hours to do the job. Most of that was trying to get the old hoses off. Although putting the new clips back on was also a pain in the ****, mainly the top one on the hoses nearest the block. I found I had quite abit more room when I disconnected the steering arm from the hub.

ALSO, I saw my starter motor for the first time ever.:thumbsup: :lol:

frp

Guess what,, day before yesterday out for a drive car running a bit warm...
Had a look last nite i have a new sprinkler system at the back of my engine :evil:
Ive located the FU**ING thing to just above the oil filter, although i cant see exactly where :roll:
And guess who is working late all week :cry: