Factory Bleed Silenoid

C

Canuck

I have just installed a GTiR SR block in my NX 2000 ( i think thats a 100 SE out side of north america ? ) i just finised it last night, im not 100% up on the GTiR so bare with some of the questions :oops:
But im a little confused on the function of the factory bleed silenoid by the oil seproator on the front of the block. my understanding that it is wired to pin 111 on the ECU. but what dose it do ? is it just for proventing over boosting ? im not sure if its working or not but since i can boost past .5 bar when the factory set is .8 ? i dont have that pill in the wastegate line i didnt see it on my engine when i got it.

Thanks for any info :D

ram5ay

The factory boost solenoid is a bit of a safety measure. Recon the std actuator is set at 0.5 bar, and the boost solenoid bleeds off the feed to this so the motor runs 0.65/0.7 bar under normal running op. When adverse conditions are evident (eg. det), the solenoid shuts off droping boost back to 0.5 bar. As I understand it anyhow.
Hope this helps a bit.
:wink:

S

smcnairn

has any one known these boost solenoid to fail? if so would this cause overboosting?

ram5ay

smcnairn said:
has any one known these boost solenoid to fail? if so would this cause overboosting?
Mine was gubbed when I got my motor, don't know how long it had been like that but I recon a while cos the motor and turbo seem pretty good for 80k miles.

C

Canuck

well im still only geting about .4/5 bar ( 6.5 psi on my gage) i can make the silenoid work if i aply a 12 volt sorce to it and a ground. checked the ECU and was throwing a code 11 so i riped apart my distributor and check it out and did some voltage checks every thing was fine. cleared the code off and it didnt come back ?
so now im confused ?

J

jiw

fit an aftermarket boost controller and bin the standard sensor, you will end up doing it soon anyhow :D

ram5ay

smcnairn said:
how did u know it was gubbed?
Car was slower on boost than other R's I'd driven, but felt like it had a sweet motor. Turned out it was only boosting at 0.5 bar all the time, with no other probs. Tried giving the solenoid power but it didn't actuate so I binned it and fitted a boost controller.
Goes fine now.
:wink:

Canuck said:
checked the ECU and was throwing a code 11 so i riped apart my distributor and check it out and did some voltage checks every thing was fine.
That code should cause the ecu to cut boost, did you take it for a good drive before you checked for the code again or just start the motor?
Just a thaught, might be stupid, but I take it you are using a GTIR ecu, and not an SX one or something?

C

Canuck

fixed the code did a 200km drive didnt come back, still isnt doing the max boost. :? ill just drive it as is for now, i have a emanage here and ill be buying a E-o1 to go with it soon, ill up the boost when i plug that stuff in.

Yeah its a GTIR ECU pluged in to my NX harness only had to do a few things to make it work, wire in some 6.8 ohm 10W resistors for the injectors swap the two outer TPS wires around and change the plug on the ACC valve to that purple one on there. the rest of it just plugs right in
i also used a o2 sencer from a 89 300zx to match the slim style one, most cars in NA came with a big fat style one that only uses 1v and its slower reading.