Exhaust Manifold

O

one Gti-R

Guys I need some help I am stuck.

I am trying to get my exhaust manifold off the head.

I have gotten all but one bolt off. Now here comes the hard part for those that know the bolt layout on the manifold.

I have gotten the top studs undone and the 2 outside ones on the bottom of the manifold. that just leaves the to on the bottom in the middle.

I got the outside one off and when I got to the last bolt the on tucked away up under the bend for the tlange that meets the turbo. I realised that that bolt has been stripped. It looks like they stripped it the last time the exhaust manifold gasket was changed. I gave it one attempt and the ring spanner the only thing I can get in there slipped and burred the nut further.

Now I cannot get the bolt off I am open to suggestipns.

The only other thing that has me stuck is with the studs that are used some nuts came off and others the studs came out so I cannot twist the manifold at all to help crack the seal or anything. I cannot get in there with a socket so I cannot weld a socket onto it ???

I cannot get a hacksaw int here to saw it off even tho that would take me days and several blades to get throught it.

I have no idea how I am going to get this nut off.

PLEASE HELP A DESPERATE OWNER

J

JohnnyGTiR

Having never done this job before and not really knowing how much room you have i can only offer limited advice.

From my experiences with rounded/siezed nuts, applying heat and using vice-grips or something similar or heaps of WD-40 let to soak and hitting the area can sometimes help loosen things up enough providing you can get a half decent grip on it. Nuts can be split with a chisel but only if you have the room and ofcourse are very careful of the force applied to the aluminium head.

You mention twisting the manifold, you could try removing the remaining studs by putting two nuts on and screwing out the inner one being careful not to strip the thread on the head

You probably know all of this anyway, but I suppose anything can help :)

John

O

one Gti-R

I have tried most things.

I am hoping someone has come across this problem before and has got around it somehow (i have no idea how) and can help me out.

The only option is to sit there for days trying to saw through it. I am hoping there will be an easier soultion tho.

geetee

That nut is a sod to get off if it's intact.

You may have some joy with a flank drive ring spanner - this drives against the flats of the nut rather than the corners.

I wouldn't even want to contemplate trying to get in there with a hacksaw.

Good Luck

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

O

one Gti-R

geetee said:

You may have some joy with a flank drive ring spanner - this drives against the flats of the nut rather than the corners.

Good Luck

Cheers
GeeTee 8)
I will have to try that :)

its has to be the worst placed bolt on the car

and my luck its its stripped :x

anyone esle got some ideas :?:

O

one Gti-R

geetee said:

Good Luck

Cheers
GeeTee 8)
I will have to try that :)

its has to be the worst placed bolt on the car

and my luck its its stripped :x

anyone esle got some ideas :?:

geetee

Just put it all nuts or studs back in and find a different way to do what you wanna do :)

Why are you taking it off?

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

O

one Gti-R

geetee said:
Just put it all nuts or studs back in and find a different way to do what you wanna do :)

Why are you taking it off?

Cheers
GeeTee 8)
I want to take it off because I am doing a complete engine rebuild and part of it is a better exhaust manifold.

I mught have to cut it that will not be good but its looking like the only way :cry:

geetee

Don't know if there is room... but can't you drop the tubby off the manifold and out under the car - then drop the engine with the manifold on?

It'll be easier to work on it if the engine's out.

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

E

Edd

cant you take the engine out, then remove the head (as ur rebuilding the engine) then you'll get better access to the bolt?

E

Edd

or even just take the engine out and remove the manifold with the engine out the car, would be much easier, especially if you have to cut it off, then just get new studd, you can drill out old one fine

geetee

Well - as you're putting a better manifold on... just cut the header pipe to the cylinder.

Bit drastic... but hey - better than spending hours trying to get it off intact to sit on a shelf and gather dust - then get binned in 5 years time :lol:

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

skiddusmarkus

From pics it looks like your turbo is still on.If you remove it,you'll have more room to work.
Have you got a Dremel type tool with cutting discs?Failing that an angle grinder with a cutting disc on and a very steady hand.
When you eventually get it off,I'd defintely replace the stud too.

akchang

there is a certain brand of channel locks that hove worked some miracles for me in the past with stripped bolts. cant remember the brand off hand but using them might not allow enough room anyhow. i just did this as well a week ago but mine wasnt stripped. good luck man.

G

GTI-R Kid

Since access is so restricted, why not try to drill it off? Get a punch and make a point on the side of the nut, then drill straight through it. After you have an initial pilot hole drilled get a bigger bit and drill it so that the nut practically goes to nothing.

Its not the prettiest approach, but it would get the manifold off still intact (in case you were considering selling it) and you can put a new stud in afterwards.

Just my 2c